Festival of Lights

Team

"What's up with you and P'Win?", Pharm asked me before our warm up.

It was already the day of the meet and the days had passed by like it got blown away. I didn't even notice that it had been weeks since Hia and I spent time together. I guess we were too busy but it didn't escape our friends' eyes.

"What do you mean?", I asked him but I didn't say that we were fine because I had that gnawing feeling that we can't be.

"You haven't been together for the past few days. Did you guys break up without telling us?", Pharm asked me back.

That I couldn't answer. We did send messages to check on each other though we haven't been visiting each other's room. But I don't remember any discussion about a break up. This is just the thing about people knowing. They notice things that aren't even there in the first place.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I need to warm up, Pharm. Just cheer for me on the bleachers.", I told him as I skipped away to avoid any other questions he could come up with.

I don't need his interrogations at this time. I need to concentrate on getting a medal for this meet or it would be another year of try outs for the nationals for me.

My category was the first one up, so I feel pumped. I have a good feeling that I was going to get it this time. I scanned the crowd and saw Pharm joining Manaow and Del who were holding up some banners under my name. They came prepared and it made me smile.

The facilitator called out to us to take the deck and we lined up on each of our assigned platform. Cheers coming from each university for their athletes erupted by the bleachers. I looked up once again and saw the familiar blonde figure bobbing in the crowd. Manaow shoved a banner in his hand and said something like she was scolding him. Hia looked apologetic and waived the banner at me. I slipped my goggles on and felt relieved that he came just in time to boost my spirit.

I dove into the water when the buzzer sounded. I took advantage of my speed immediately. The water drowned out the crowd but Hia's ringing voice came at every stroke as I exercised bilateral breathing.

"You came here to compete with yourself, not with others. Remember that, Nong."

Half way through the swim I exhibited my stroke styles as we practiced. I repeated the patterns we have rehearsed until I completed the given distance.

"Race against the clock, Nong!"

I shot forward after a series of combos and felt my hand touch the platform. I looked around and saw other swimmers reaching the same point as me.

"Well done, Nong Team!", Coach Guy greeted me while looking at his stop watch.

I smiled back and knew it was a good sign. I took off my hair cover and goggles to prepare for a cool down. The judges are going to tally our performance and announce the results after the meet. I felt that it would be a long day to wait but coach looked like his hopes are soaring.

When I reached the bleachers after I changed in the lockers, Hia wasn't there anymore and I felt disappointed. I fumbled for my phone as I reached Manaow.

"Ai hee-ah!", I cursed as my phone slipped and dropped to the ground.

"Oy, wash your mouth, Team.", Manaow reprimanded me as she looked at the girl who accidentally knocked my phone.

I picked it up and saw that the phone had died. I tried turning it on but it wouldn't. I was starting to get frustrated.

"Khor thot ka, P'Team na.", the girl apologized to me who turned out to be Mook.