The Light and The Glass

Win

I just got back from England for the registration over the weekend and to check on the boarding house P'Wan chose for me. It was a loft actually, that has a view of the university I enrolled with and the city of London. Late spring has started and the air was starting to dry out when I was there. I think it was a good space with a rooftop where I could unwind. It would have been better if Nong came with me. He would have enjoyed the weekend in a new place with a beautiful scenery. It was just too bad that they had a three days meet in Phuket.

I stared in awe at my room when I entered. I was expecting to be greeted by an excited boy but I saw a lump instead, lying on top of my bed covered in a comforter with the air conditioner probably at its lowest temperature. I get that Thailand is at its boiling point during May but the temperature was too low. I began to think of the wattage that was consumed and how high my bill would be by the end of the month.

I told Nong not to meet me at the airport anymore so he could rest, but I didn't expect him to make such a mess. I stepped over a pile of clothing as I went over to the bed to wake up the tornado that occupied my room. When I gave him my room key, I should have given him guidelines to keep my room clean and dry. The low temperature would certainly bring molds to the room when it's finally exposed to the summer season.

I nudged the big lump and pulled the comforter off and saw a curled up, almost full grown man. The thoughts of lecturing him faded. I just sighed and covered him with the comforter and adjusted the room temperature. I looked around and thought about cleaning first before going to sleep.

I wondered if he had eaten yet and decided to get some food delivered just in case he wakes while I'm tidying up. I haven't eaten dinner myself so, waiting while cleaning would be just right. I started off with piling the clothes to the laundry basket and ended sorting the bullets for my old PlayStation.

Nong enjoys using it from time to time. It still works, though it's already an old model. With proper care and less usage, I could still sell it in the market for a good price along with the bullets. I stacked the cases back to the display case and noticed a glossy paper sticking from one of the racks. It was an old Polaroid of me and a girl. 

A knock came before I could even reminisce

A knock came before I could even reminisce. I placed the photograph on the table and went to the door. I thanked the delivery man and gave him a tip for his hard work even during the night. I can only imagine how tough it would be to still earn a living during this time when you're supposed to be at home taking care of your family. I guess in two years' time I would know since I will join the workforce of our country when I get back from abroad. I would be a full time businessman by then.

I set the food on the table and started to prepare them one by one when I saw Nong stir awake from the bed.

"Hia?", a sleepy voice came just as I was pouring water on a glass.

I decided to get another glass for Nong when he joined me, "I'm back. Did you get a good rest over the weekend?".

I didn't have to actually ask since we chatted over the phone while I was away and we spent a few hours a day having video calls.