Anniversary

Team

After the first meet of the school year, we thought everything would be smooth sailing but it only became more challenging. Coach Guy entered us into two more consecutive competitions that intensified our training and opened new doors for us. Aside from swimming practice and academe, we had interviews set with local sports media and magazines.

"Can you believe that we're at this level already by just winning a few medals?", Mew couldn't contain his excitement.

We just finished one of our interviews and I wasn't comfortable with it unlike Mew who was willing to give more than what was needed by the columnist.

"What is your current inspiration right now?", the columnist asked me.

I thought about it for a moment and answered, "Myself. I want to fulfill my dreams and prove that I can stand on my own.".

"Without any help from, anyone?", the columnist wanted more from me. 

"I do. I get them from my mentor, my friends and family.".

"How about from the love of your life?"

I smiled and thought about Hia, "I prefer not to say."

"Ahw.. You're a tease even at the early stage of your career.", the columnist laughed.

"I hope I could interview you in the future and get an update with your lovelife. Anyways, don't forget your photoshoot next week with other athletes, okay?", the columnist reminded us again as we waid and excused ourselves when they dismissed us without pushing me to tell more.

"Glad that was over. We can focus now on the Expo.", Min said as he swung his arm around my shoulder.

I smiled at him and bent down to fix the shoelaces on the birthday gift Hia gave me. I wore it to the interview to give myself a boost of confidence since he wasn't there to watch. Min doesn't seem to mind my lame excuse even though my laces were perfectly tied. They waited on me until I was done but I kept my distance from Min. There was something about him that still made me feel uneasy which I haven't wrapped around yet.

"Do you think P'Dean and P'Win already prepared the stall for tonight?", Mew asked as we walked towards the Auditorium.

"You don't have to ask, you already know how thorough those two are.", I assured him.

Instead of the usual Open House event like last year, the university decided to hold a band exposure to attract new applicants for the next school year. Since we couldn't use the same old concept for this year, we came up with a Butler Café that would appeal to our target market according to Hia.

"How are we going to fair without them by next year?", Mew suddenly looked worried.

I understood his burden. We were used with the seniors taking care of everything for us.

"Don't worry, Meung. We're still sophomores. The juniors will be next in line.", I said to him with total confidence.

When we arrived at the Swimming Club stall, it was unusually swarming with people.  It seems the idea was a hit.

"You guys are just in time. Suit up and help out!", Hia called out to us and handed us semi-formal suits.

We hurriedly went to a nearby comfort room and immediately changed. The stall was quite enjoyable since we had a mini dunk tank for the customers to play with. Miniature sets of the club members were set in a row and whichever fell into the tank would be the service butler for the lucky participant. The crowd only began to thin out when the Auditorium opened its doors for the Expo.