*Hay pai*

Maae..
Pho..
I will be leaving
I will go to war
I will sacrifice my time and life
For freedom..

When I leave
There would be no loss
A thousand children will pass by
Like me, they are great children of the nation
They will bring you my greetings
They will be your child and comrade..

- Anak ng Bayan (Child of the Nation)

---

Win

We spent the next day training in Nong's pool. I didn't let him off easy just because we were on break. I made him practice his main sets and made sure to point out his improvements to encourage him. I also didn't forget on where he could better himself so he can adjust before the meet.

I had to make him swim everyday while we were staying at his home to improve his strength and flexibility further. It would also help build his character in the long run.

Na Ploy seemed pleased that I was pushing Nong and always prepared snacks for us through out the day. Nong's favorite chips was always present but I didn't dare comment on it to avoid offending the housekeeper. I eyed the brat though not to touch it and insisted on choosing the homemade snacks for him to eat.

"You can eat these from time to time but not all the time.", I told him as he stuck a fork grudgingly on the rice cakes.

The housekeeper must have been watching us during those times and took the hint since the chips weren't on the menu the following day.

We spent the whole afternoon lounging by the pool side. Nong brought a guitar which I didn't know he had any. He used to play some tunes with the guitar in my room and it seems he's going to play one with an old guitar.

It was beaten by time but still played well. It had some psychedelic designs on it and a red star also. Nong started strumming a song in the cool afternoon breeze. I stared into the looming dark sky from afar as I listened.

The song started with a farewell to someones parents, their sacrifice in a war and a promise for freedom. It went on about people taking the singer's place and consoling the ones left behind. I felt hopeful and sad at the same time when it ended. My eyes rested on a sticker that shows a sickle and mallet intertwined.

"How did you learn to play guitar, Nong?", I asked him as he kept on strumming random tunes.

"I learned it in highschool. It's like a right of passage to be one of the cool kids.", he smiled at me as if to show he enjoyed the memory.

Girls usually fall for the guitar man as the old song goes by the Bread. I wondered if he learned it to please some girl or to spend time with another boy. I'd like to know who.

"So, who's the inspiration?", I asked him while preparing myself.

Nong suddenly grew quite and stopped strumming the guitar. His expression became forlorn as he stared into the water.

 His expression became forlorn as he stared into the water