16.

Today was a big day for Derek Shepherd. A really big day that meant things about him being able to go home soon and about him getting out of her life, for good. Or not for good because she was actually pretty sure it would be a tough day when he went home. Because no matter how hard she tried, Meredith really liked Derek Shepherd. She almost wished she had never pushed him to be nicer to her. She had liked him when he was being an ass but now he was nice and she really liked him a lot. He was funny and charming and smart and was just kind of one of the most amazing guys she had ever met. And it made her feel stupid to even be thinking any of that. He was in a relationship, he was happy, and she wasn't supposed to be feeling anything for him. It was against the rules and it was against her rules. She didn't like guys like this. They were good for fun sex, but not for this whole feelings thing. Which was why this was a big day.

Derek was finally healed enough to get out of bed. He wouldn't be able to do much, not with his back and leg still healing but he'd at least be able to get into a wheelchair and out of his room for a little bit. It probably wasn't enough and he'd still be frustrated but it was a big step. Usually, they'd give him crutches, but with his back, they had to do the wheelchair. It was going to be awful and hard, but it had to work out in the end. This was part of the healing process and she had a feeling Derek was going to fight to get out of here as soon as possible. She got it. He liked moving and being stuck in bed or even in a chair had to be hell for someone like him. And she wasn't going to think about the fact he was going to disappear from her life. He was a patient and the idea of him getting better was what she loved about her job.

So she was going to meet with the physical therapist and she was going to be happy to do it. This was part of her job, she was supposed to be excited that things were working out for him. She was not supposed to be feeling dread in the pit of her stomach. It was stupid. It was stupid and thinking of a guy like this just because he could make her laugh was stupid. Even if he really was good at listening. She hated talking but he fought her and looked at her and somehow he listened and made things feel better. But he was leaving.

"Aaron," she smiled at the physical therapist currently standing by Derek's room.

"Meredith," Aaron smiled back.

"Thanks for agreeing to do this, I know you have a huge caseload."

"It's not a problem," Aaron shook his head. "I'm always happy to grab your patients."

"Thanks. He's...he's a special case."

"Then I'll take good care of him."

"That's why I requested you," she smiled. "Did you read his chart?"

"I did, I'm all up to date."

"Great. Any questions?"

"I think I'm good for now."

"Good," she nodded. "Ready?"

"Ready."

"Come on," she nodded, knocking on Derek's door. "Derek?"

"Come in!" Derek's voice called from the other side.

"Good morning," she smiled at him from his place in bed and then looked around at Maggie and Mrs. Shepherd.

"Morning Meredith," Maggie grinned.

"Sorry I missed rounds this morning. Anything Dr. Crichek said that you have questions about?"

"I don't think so," Derek shook his head.

"Maggie?"

"I think I'm good," Maggie breathed.

"Okay, good," Meredith smiled. "I wanted you guys to meet Aaron Coolidge, Derek's physical therapist."

"Oh..." Derek frowned, looking at Aaron.