63) Unfamiliar Perfumes

The saucepan on the stove was filled to the brim with a dark, purple potion, bubbling away and threatening to spill from the sides. Adrienne hovered her wand over it, ensuring it stayed put. After a few stirs, the potion was ready. She lifted the pot from the stove and set it on the counter. Next, she dipped the ladle into it and poured some of the purple liquid into a glass.

Adrienne had woken up from a terrible headache which undoubtedly came from the sleepless night she endured. Spraying lavender essence on her pillows didn't help her sleep as it usually did because she only had one thing in mind the whole time: How empty her bed felt without him. How he was so near yet so far.

Sipping from the cup immediately soothed the dull ache in her head, and she automatically felt her jaw relax. Her gaze travelled to the door across from her, wondering why Fred was still sleeping in. It was 11 AM, he was usually up much earlier than that.

Drinking the remnants of the potion, she washed the cup once she was done. Today was a gloomy day, the sun hidden by the thick layer of clouds. A shadow was cast over the lodge and the woods, causing everything to darken.

Adrienne decided that a nice walk could do some good for her seeing that the weather was cool. But before she could grab a hoodie, the telephone rang loudly in the hall, causing her to almost fall over. Making her way towards the telephone, she picked it up and pressed it to her ear. She didn't even manage to say 'hello' when a deep, familiar voice interrupted her.

"Fucking finally! I've been trying to get this telephone number for ages! The communications department at the Ministry really are full of self-righteous bullshitters. Fred where the hell are you?"

Adrienne froze, her feet felt as if they were stuck to the ground. She hadn't heard from him in a while, and she wasn't ready to face him or anyone else just yet. She didn't know what to say, her ability to speak seemed to fly out the window.

"Hello? Fred? You better not be giving me the silent treatment after disappearing for weeks"

Adrienne could sense the worry in his voice. George was scared for his brother because he knew how irresponsible he could get. But she could also sense anger, and irritation. So she had no choice but to speak up.

"I-It's me, Adrienne...erm, Fred's asleep at the moment" she tried to play it off casually, but knew that it wouldn't work.

There was silence on the other end, enough to make Adrienne's heart sink in her chest, to make her hands quiver with fear. She could never be afraid of George, no, but this situation was entirely different.

"So you're the one who charmed the lot of us and then fucked off, is it?" George spoke through gritted teeth. Adrienne was shocked at how he spoke, he was always the softer and more understanding one amongst the Weasleys.

"George I-I don't know what to say to you. I'm sorry, I really really am but I can't explain everything over the phone"

"I don't need your explanation, I don't care what it is you want to tell me" his breaths were heavy, his voice deep and laced with anger.

Adrienne squeezed her eyes shut, she really didn't want to go through all of this again but she knew that she deserved every bit of it. "I want to make it up to you, to everyone else. Just give me the chance to explain myself and I-"

"Is Fred alright, is he doing fine?" George interrupted her carelessly.

Adrienne took in a deep breath, trying to control the tears that were starting to form in her eyes.

"I asked you if he's alright" George said once again, clearly not interested in whatever else Adrienne wanted to say to him.

"H-He's fine" Adrienne replied finally, her fists tightening until her nails were digging into her palm. She heard a sigh of relief from the other end of the phone, and a mutter of 'thank Merlin'.