27) Glaciem Flores

Adrienne and Fred had promised it to each other. They had made it clear from the very beginning: This was going to end when everyone would go back home, back to their normal lives. What Adrienne didn't know back when she made the promise was that she would become attached. Days passed by in blissful laughter and lovemaking, cuddling and talking, the time flew by and she didn't even realise that soon, this would all come to an end. Soon, she would go home to Noah to be the obedient wife she was meant to be.

The letter from Olivia about the bloom of the flowers would be reaching them soon, and Adrienne dreaded it. She dreaded it because every second that ticked by was one second closer to leaving Fred forever. But she didn't show him that, she pretended as if everything was okay because she knew that for Fred, at the end of the day, Adrienne was just the married woman he had had a fling with. That's all this was meant to be, a fling.

"I can hear you thinking from a mile away" Fred laughed lying down on the couch and resting his head on Adrienne's lap.

"Good Afternoon to you too, you've been taking a lot of naps lately, is everything okay?" Adrienne looked down to see Fred and she had to try her hardest to stop the gasp that was threatening to escape from her lips. Fred's eyes were red and puffy, his cheeks flushed, but not in a good way.

"Freddie? What's wrong?" she asked in concern.

"Wrong? Nothing's wrong" Fred said, but she didn't fail to notice the small crack in his voice.

"Are you sure? You know you can tell me anything" 

"Like I said Addie, it's nothing, I'm just tired is all" Fred chuckled. Adrienne couldn't help but feel that there was a certain dullness behind his eyes and uncertainty in his laughter, the shine behind it all had seemed to dissipate.

"If you say so" Adrienne said, looking away from him and resting her head back on the sofa. She absentmindedly ran her fingers through Fred's hair and he closed his eyes, wondering if he'd ever get to feel those same fingers running through his hair ever again. He too knew that their time together was coming to an end, he just didn't realise how fast it had all happened.

Suddenly, there was a loud, tapping noise on the window. Adrienne's head jerked up to see a small, snowy owl fluttering outside, a piece of parchment tied around her leg. Adrienne's heart beat in her chest as she realised what it was, she hadn't expected it to come so soon. She retrieved the parchment from the owl, holding it with shaky hands.

Dear Adrienne,

I'm sure that George and Fred will be thrilled to know that the Glaciem Flores will be in bloom today at 4 PM, hope this letter reaches you before then, if it doesn't then they'll have to wait another month for it to grow back.

You should go there immediately to get the best pick, and make sure to keep warm, these are ice flowers after all and it gets pretty cold where they grow. 

Yours,

Olivia

"What is it?" Fred asked, getting up from the couch and walking over to Adrienne. He took the parchment from her hands and read the words scribbled on it. Adrienne had expected him to jump in excitement, or at least smile. But he didn't. Instead, he looked up at her and the look on his face told her that they were both thinking the same thing. She instantly realised that Fred was lying earlier when he had said that he was tired. His eyes were red for another reason and thinking about it made her heart drop in her chest.

"Guess we should get going" Fred mumbled, pocketing the parchment.

"Guess we should"

--