Chapter 1 - The Fallen Valkyrie

I woke up from my nightmare, flashbacks of the past still playing in my brain despite my eyes having opened. The alarm barely fazed me, and I lazily went to turn it off. I don't even know why I still bother setting up an alarm when my nightmares always wake me up first.

"Hey, Sheila? Do you mind telling me which books to pick up today? Thanks, I'll wait for your text." I said through the phone.

How long have I been working for Greens Publishing? That I cannot remember.

I still had enough time to exercise and take a shower before I head out to grab the manuscripts that were supposed to come in for review today so I went to my small training room and did a couple of routines including some drills that I had learned as a Valkyrie.

Afterwards, I ate a slice of bread and stepped into the shower. The hot water felt nice to soothe the muscle tension from my workout. I felt every drop of water cascade down my wings. After having been drained of power, my wings had turned from a glorious white to obsidian black.

My phone vibrated, pulling me from my thoughts. It was the text I had been waiting for from Sheila. Apparently, there was only one manuscript up for review today which I was supposed to pick up in the Avengers tower. Just great.

I dialed Sheila again, "Yes, darling, could you pick up the manuscripts instead? I'm not feeling too well all of a sudden," I asked.

"I would, Sarah but I've got my hands full at the office. How about you pick up the manuscript, drop it here and you can have the rest of the day off?"

That wasn't what I wanted but I had no choice but to agree and hang up. I couldn't tell them what I feared encountering at that tower– or more like who.

For some reason, my ability to heal and project illusions were suddenly back one fateful evening as if they had been returned to me. I use it to conceal my wings from human eyes. Unfortunately, my time on earth has limited my powers to very minimum use and I have to manually disguise myself.

I put on my plain black office suit, a black wig, and sunglasses. After having my heels on, I left a bowl of food for my sleeping cat and gently closed the door.

***

The ride to Avengers tower was shorter than I hoped it would be. My heart raced at the thought of possibly meeting him again after centuries of avoidance and hiding. I was filled with fear, anger, and anxiety.

"Uhmm, hello there, Midgardian. Do you need anything?"

The familiar voice pulled me out of my thoughts and back to reality. He was only speaking through the computer but I could tell.

Loki.

Fate wasn't making this easy on me, that's clear.

"U-uhmm, hi. I'm Sarah from Greens Publishing, I'm here to pick up a manuscript from Tony Stark?" I hesitantly asked. Please, don't recognize me.

"Alright, in you go," he said through the intercom and the door opened. I let out a sigh of relief when no one came to greet me at the door.

"Stark says the manuscript is sitting on his desk. Laboratory, 3rd floor." Loki said through the speakers again.

"Why do you always make me talk in this stupid microphone? It feels stupid!" I heard him say, forgetting to turn off the microphone.

As much as I was intrigued, I had a mission to be in and out of this place as fast as I can.

I was waiting by elevator 2 when when the 3rd elevator dinged so I went there instead.

"Hi, you must be Sarah from Greens publishing," Loki politely greeted.

I froze as the elevator doors fully opened to reveal him in his Asgardian clothes, his helmet on one hand.

"Y-yes, that would be me," I said, nervous. I hoped with every strand of my body that he doesn't recognize the illusion I had covered my wings with and my voice.

"Are you hiding something?" he pried.

I gulped at the thought of him knowing, especially how he had a keen look at something behind me.

"I don't... think so," I stuttered, unable to speak coherently as he stepped forward closing the gap between us.

My hands were behind me the whole time, clutching at my sketchbook nervously.

I was shocked that he reached out behind me, and took it. I let out a sigh of relief, he had meant my sketchbook when he asked if I was hiding something. I thought he had recognized my wings.

"What do we have here? You got quite the talent, Lady." he said, genuinely impressed.

"Thank you," I replied sheepishly.

"I know someone who's as good as you in doing sketches, you would've loved her," he said, eyes filled with sorrow and longing.

It's me, Loki. I'm here. I wanted to say. But I know I couldn't. Shouldn't.

"I'm gonna need that back now, this is my floor," I said as I gently took my sketchbook away from him.

"I'm sorry," he chuckled and watched me leave the elevator.