Chapter 38 - Trials

Bucky looked fidgetty the next morning. He went to the rooftop with us after Loki, Thor, and I had told the others that we were summoned to Asgard.

"You take care of yourselves there," he said.

"Thanks. And Buck, whatever it is that you find out when you get your memories back, however horrifying it may be, remember that it wasn't you," I gently said, hugging him. I had gotten close to Bucky in a platonic way and I could tell he was the same to me.

"Thanks, that actually means a lot. You know, you're one of the few people I can actually call my friend." he let go of the hug and wiped off a tear.

"Are you crying?"

"What? No. This is... eye saliva," he joked. I laughed at him and we said our goodbyes.

***

The bifrost didn't bother me at this point but I had been acting jittery because I didn't know what Odin wanted.

"Did I say I'd burn the nine realms for you, darling?" Loki asked which took me by surprise.

"Yes, you did," I answered anyway.

"There you have it. No need to worry, love. You have me, always."

I kissed Loki on the cheeks. Before I knew it, were at the stables. I immediately looked for my horse and saddled him up.

We rode for a few minutes and we reached the gates where Fandral was there with Sif and the rest of the Warriors Three. I got down the horse and Loki held my hand.

"I'll be damned, it is true," I heard Sif say looking at our hands.

"Well, you don't see that everyday," Fandral said before turning to Thor, "Welcome back," he said.

None of them addressed Loki. I had no problem with Thor's friends but I don't particularly like the way they treat Loki, as if he was an outcast.

Whenever we gathered together back then at Asgard's tavern, Loki would just sit by the fireplace. He pretended to read a book but whenever Fandral said something funny, he would always laugh secretly which meant he was actually listening to our conversations. Though it's not that much of a secret because I would always notice.

Right now, we were walking towards the throneroom with Thor leading the way followed by me and Loki and then behind us were the Warriors Three.

"Lady Diana," the Warriors Three greeted the woman we came across with at the hallway.

I gave her a slight bow and a smile which she returned.

"D-diana, good to see you're still here," Thor scratched the back of his neck while he stuttered.

"I though about what you said, and somehow it made more sense to stay here in Asgard," she replied, smiling warmly at Thor.

"Oh, just make out already!" Loki exclaimed, exasperated.

Thor was beyond flustered by now and Lady Diana had a small blush on her cheeks.

"I should be going," she excused herself.

"Loki, what was that?" Thor asked.

"You clearly fancy her, brother," Loki pointed out.

"She's just a friend," Thor defended.

"The last time I said that, I ended up with a child," Loki smirked looking at me and I blushed. "Not that I'm complaining, of course" he added.

"You're overthinking it, brother."

"I'm just stating the obvious since you clearly suck at hiding your feelings." Loki rolled his eyes and Thor just walked silently, he blushed furiously and was basically a walking tomato by now.

We had reached the throneroom and the announcer has made our prsence known, still failing to recognize Loki properly.

"Approach," Odin ordered, his voice reverberating across the room shushing everyone who had started to whisper. Frigga sat regally beside him, giving the three of us a gentle smile before proceeding to listen to the formalities.

"Loki, my son, it brings me great joy to know that you have brought us an heir," Odin said. Of course he knew, he always knew.

"Why have you summoned us here, Allfather?" Loki asked, irritated but trying his best to be polite.

"I called you here to announce that a trial will be held to determine the future king of Asgard."

There was an uproar of whispers, some in agreement and the others not.

"Silence!" Odin struck Gungnir to the floor and everyone fell silent once again.

"I thought Thor was crown prince," Loki said, confused and shaking.

"He was, but the council has noted your contributions to saving Midgard. Your changed behavior is well appreciated and everyone understands that what happened in New York was out of your control," Odin started.

"That is utter nonsense, you're only considering me now because I have an heir and Thor does not, just say it! None of you have ever recognized my talents." Loki spat, sounding insulted.

"Loki, I assure you that your talents are recognized," Frigga said gently then Odin spoke.

"There will be a trial, between you and Thor. Whoever wins will be king. That is my will, and my will is final."