LOKI'S JOURNAL (6)

Entry No. 6

The day started out the way it usually did, Ella and I having breakfast with my mother at the garden. Thor, being the never-punctual god that he is, usually skipped breakfast to proceed to taking lessons with the allfather. It somehow made me happy that Odin kept him busy because that meant I could spend more time alone with Ella though I know what I felt was wrong.

"Ella, Loki, breakfast will have to wait. A group of bandits have set one of the eastern villages on fire and we need to get there fast." Of course, it was my heroic brother. Always the kingly man that he is. A true Odinson.

"Be careful, my sons. Of course, you too, Lady Ella." mother bid her farewell and I gave her a peck on the cheek before I left.

I walked behind Ella and Thor who were now arguing about strategy. They did it all the time so it never really bothered me, I didn't meddle, not unless it was necessary. I didn't want to draw unnecessary attention to my feelings for her so I try my best everyday to play the part of a supportive bestfriend. It's harder than I thought it would be and it kills me no matter how long I've been playing my role to perfection.

"Loki, whose idea makes more sense?" Thor asked, snapping me back to reality. I paused, not really knowing what to answer.

"Truth be told, I really wasn't listening." I confessed and shrugged.

Thor stormed off declaring, "We're still doing it my way."

Ella stayed behind, walking with me. She then whispered, "Traitor." to which I replied with, "You know you love me."

"I thought you were my friend, you should have just said my name even though you weren't listening." she complained with an adorable pout.

"Have you forgotten that he's my brother?" I laughed as I polished my helmet.

"My plan would've worked better," she wasn't letting it go.

"At least it won't be your fault if he gets us all killed," I jokingly comforted which made her laugh. It was a laugh I could never get tired of hearing. And even when she cried, she was beautiful.

"My plans have never gotten us killed," she defended, taking my helmet and wearing it as if to mock me.

"I'm a living testimony of that," I replied, marveling at how good she looked in my helmet which I shapeshifted to fit her perfectly.

***

At the site of the battle, the bandits have burned almost everything to the ground. The air smelled of smoke and judging by the looks of it, it wasn't just supplies that went down with the fires but some people as well.

"Save whatever and whoever you can," Thor said, running off to fight the army of bandits alone like he always did.

"I told you I had a better plan," Ella murmured and ran off as well, just in time to save a young girl from one of the bandits.

I joined in on the action as well, ushering people to safety then quickly teleporting back to the battleground to help Ella and Sif stop fleeing attackers. The rest were with Thor.

Looking over to where Ella was, I couldn't help but feel wonderstruck. She was a very graceful fighter, especially with a knife. Her wings added a glorious touch to her overall appearance and her hair flowed along with every move as if it was choreographed to do so.

It was ill timing, admiring her while she fought off bandits. But I couldn't help it if I felt that much for such a breathtaking woman. There's nothing I would never do for you, I silently thought as I continued to fight alongside her.

***

We were all headed home but when were almost near the gates, Thor said I should teleport inside first to ask for the necessary provisions needed for rebuilding the village.

Without a word, I went ahead. I tried finding Odin but his whereabouts were unknown. I got frustrated realizing I've been circling the palace for quite some time now, popping randomly into places like a lunatic.

When I was in the corridor, I came across a group of knights that seemed to be headed somewhere in a panic. A dreadful feeling settled in my gut but I didn't know why it was there. I approached them and asked, "What's wrong?"

"The valkyrie betrayed the throne and attacked Prince Thor," one answered.

I felt blood draining away from my face, my knees were weak and I was afraid they might give in so I leaned against the wall. Would Ella be able to do something like that?

Slapping myself physically, I strengthened my resolve. I know her. She wasn't a traitor. This wasn't her fault and somehow she was being blamed for it.

Ready to rush to where they were, I was once again met by the guards. They had Thor in one gurney while Ella was in the next. I stood there, frozen. She looked beaten up and almost dead.

When she passed by me, I felt her hold my hand so I turned to look her way. She didn't say anything, maybe because she didn't have the strength to. All she did was look at me while she was being dragged away. Her eyes clearly told me, "I didn't do it."

I gathered my courage and followed her to the infirmary. Everyone was focused on treating Thor, Ella wasn't even given a drop of water to drink. I rushed to her side, feeling guilty for a bit for leaving my brother but realizing afterwards that she needed me more at that time than Thor did.

"Loki..." she called out, sobbing.

"Shh, I know. It wasn't you and I believe you," I soothed her as I continued tending to her cuts and bruises.

Just when I was done bandaging her, Odin's voice boomed, "Who did this to my son?!"

The room fell silent, and in fear of punishment, Lady Sif answered, "It was the valkyrie."

Odin looked our way with so much anger, I was afraid his gaze would kill Ella any moment.

"Take her to the dungeons," he commanded.

"Father, she should be held in trial!" I protested.

As if on cue, Thor stirred awake. His face was blank, as if he had just woken up from a nightmare.

"My son, is it this woman that attacked you?" Odin asked, sparing no time, pointing at Ella.

The room was silent once again, anticipating Thor's response. I felt hopeful. He loved Ella, he would never–

"It's her."

Murmurs spread across the room while I stared at my own brother in disbelief. Trembling in anger, I yelled, "You should know better than that, brother!"

"I saw it, Loki! I saw her stabbing me with my own two eyes!" he retaliated which sent me into a blind rage.

I was about to run to Thor and punch some sense into him but Ella grabbed my wrist. Her expression looked like she was broken beyond repair and seeing her hurting killed me as much as it did her. The guards took her away before I could say anything.