42: 2012

3rd Person POV

2012

Since that one exceptional day, Jungkook has been no closer to Yoongi than before. It was frustrating to say the least, as the elder would sometimes run his fingers through Jungkook's hair, or give him a congratulatory hug after their predebut practices, yet he never gave him anything more.

A week ago Jin had dumped the sleepy maknae on Yoongi's warm lap, and Jungkook, without a second thought, wrapped his arms around the petite rapper's waist and fell back asleep. His pride still got wounded when he thought about how tense Yoongi had been the whole time, walking away as soon as he thought the younger was asleep.

Which came to now. Jungkook had had enough. He didn't like pining after someone only to be separated by sheer stubbornness, so he had decided to take matters into his own hands. Today Yoongi would either yell at him for all the class to hear, or take him in.

The bell had rung, the heavy books had been dumped on desks and opened to a page. Mr Min walked in a few minutes late, a sketchbook in one of his trembling hands. Despite his blank expression, Jungkook could tell the raven-haired man was holding back a strong emotion. Which emotion was it, though?

Was it anger? The way Yoongi slammed down the chalk after writing the date seemed so. The white stick of chalk snapped in half, crumbling to the floor. Yoongi didn't pick it up.

Or was it sadness? There was an inexplicable sorrow buried deep behind the cold demeanor, shown in the sentimental rubbing of his ring finger. Jungkook had remembered the habit well; the rapper did it when he was sad or nervous.

Nervousness would explain the darting of his eyes, the slightly scrambled listing through the text pages and the waver in his usually even voice. Oh, it wasn't anything noticeable, but living together with 6 people makes you notice when one of them is feeling off.

Or was it something completely different? An unreadable emotion in the look Yoongi gave Jungkook when the teacher walked to his desk.

"Mr Jeon? I believe this is yours. Don't leave it behind next time." The sketchbook was returned, seemingly untouched from how Jungkook had left it. Except on the inside. A yellow post-it note under a picture of Yoongi that Jungkook had drawn a few days previously.

"Brat. A talented brat, but a brat nonetheless."

The note made Jungkook grin. His plan was to go on.

---

"Open to page 372. You will take the short quiz on the book you've read this month, and then start on your semester paper. There will be no talking."

Yoongi's dark eyes hounded a small boy's movement. He didn't even know if the younger was aware of making them. He spoke up again, deliberately making his voice deeper to see Jungkook clench his thighs together again. "Please begin immediately."

The younger didn't disappoint, his legs rubbing together, the lower half of his body squirming. Sitting at his desk, Yoongi absent-mindedly licked his lips, wondering what exactly the boy was thinking about.

He looked innocent enough from the side; head bent over his paper, pencil scritch-scratching Hangul characters onto the white sheet. His pink lips were pursed, and occasionally he bit his bottom one, eyes narrowing at the textbook. The light pink shade got darker, his lips plumper the more he did so, giving them a swollen look. Yoongi gripped the edge of his desk to keep from walking over and kissing the boy's pout away.

Yoongi knew the exact moment Jungkook got bored, when he stopped writing and sighed, ruffling his hair with one hand. The teacher followed the movement with a jealous gaze; he loved feeling the silky softness of the maknae's tresses between his fingers. Jungkook slumped down lower, his face inches from the paper, and began sketching. Now, if you must know, Yoongi had gone through Jungkook's sketchbook previously. The wonders the small book held had heavily imprinted themselves upon the elder's brain. But we'll get to that later. For now, all you need to know is that the moment Jungkook started sketching, Yoongi, without even seeing the paper from where he was sitting, knew immediately what the younger was drawing.