Family Dinner

I thought I may as well go for a walk around LA. As trashy and loud as it was, maybe the walk would allow me to clear my head.

"Lauren." A clear, calm voice sounded behind me, and I swung around to face the unfortunately familiar person from that day in the precinct.

"God. I wish I could say it was nice to see you again." I swung back around to continue walking and he matched my pace. I hadn't actually personally talked to him when I first saw him. Lucifer had sent me back to Lux, saying I didn't want to get involved in the matter, which I kind of didn't.

"You are mad at me. Why?" I stopped walking to answer.

"Why? Let's start with that fact that YOU made sure I was only born in order to replace Lucifer in hell. My life has been torturous, which you could have stopped if you wanted. And I can't even be allowed to have a proper celestial body in order to contain the energy inside which caused me to nearly kill my dad, YOUR son." I glowered at him, eyes shining bright devil red, but he only smiled.

"You are so like Lucifer. I'm sure he is very proud of you." I scoffed at the niceties and moved on again. "I'm here to ask you to join me for a family dinner at Linda's house. I want our family to talk. Properly talk so we can sort out this whole mess." I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"A family dinner? Yeah. That'll go down well. And who exactly is going to this 'family dinner'?"

"Me, Amenadiel, Linda, Michael, Lucifer, and hopefully you." Lucifer was going? Unlikely.

"Yeah, it's gonna be a hard pass from me." I turned the corner into an alleyway, teleporting away from him and into Lux. That had been my first real encounter with my grandfather. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Although there was no chance in hell that I was going to that family dinner.

***

"Family dinner! Get ready." Lucifer walked out of the elevator and threw his jacket on the piano.

"What? You can't be serious."

"Unfortunately yes. Come on. Change clothes if you want but be ready in five."

"Dad!" He stopped his bustling around to look at me. "I am not going to a stuffy dinner that includes your father, who you hate, and your twin brother, who you also hate and equally hates you and wants to ruin your life as much as possible." I cross my arms indignantly, certain that I won't go.

"Lauren, please. This is important for me, and I don't want to go by myself."

"Why is it important?"

"Because I know exactly what I want from my father and I'm going to get it, one way or another." We stood opposite each other, both stubborn to get our way.

"Well can't you choose another way?"

"No Lauren."

I huffed in annoyance. "Well good luck being on your own."

"You're coming with me."

"No, I'm not." His eyes lit up red, not in anger but in a daring me to argue type way. I matched his shade with a grin. "I'm not going, and you can't make me.

***

Ten minutes later I was sitting grumpily in the passenger seat of a smug lucifer's car.

"This is so not fair."

"Too bad my little devil. If I have to sit through this torturous dinner, so do you." I looked up from out the window.

"But I don't want to go! You do," I pointed out, but he wouldn't listen.

We had stopped off to grab a plate of spring rolls from the supermarket to bring to the dinner, but I had quickly chucked those out the window.