Chapter 5

Carlisia stood up and checked herself once in the mirror before leaving her room. She could hear faint noises coming from downstairs causing her nervousness to increase.

As she walked down the flight of stairs the conversation started to get clearer and for a moment she stopped and eavesdropped at what they were saying.

"Alpha Kane, It's so nice to meet you." She heard her mother's voice making her confused at that word again.

"I'm here to see the human and make sure she isn't a threat." A voice replied. It was gruff and heavy but had a rather scary touch to it at the same time making her shiver.

Human?

"Don't worry, she isn't." Reuben replied.

What do they mean?

"I hope Reuben, as your position of Beta you will put the pack before your family." The voice said making her gulp.

Pack? Beta? Alpha?

"You know I respect the position Gabriel." Reuben countered to which the man, whom I assume was Gabriel, nodded.

"Where is she anyway?" He said causing her heart beat to quicken.

Carlisia quickly made her way back to the top of the stairs and walked down as if she hadn't heard their conversation.

She heard heels and not a second later her mother stood at the foyer looking at the stairs smiling at her.

"Oh! There you are! We were waiting for you." She said but Carlisia could sense the nervousness in her voice not to mention the cold sweat on her forehead.

"Are you alright mom?" Carlisia asked concerned.

She reached to wipe the sweat from her mother's forehead.

"Of course sweetie! Why wouldn't I be? Come on, let me introduce you to the guest." She said and grabbed her hand walking into the living room.

Just as she entered her eyes dart to the unfamiliar male, talking in hushed voices with Ben.

He was lean and dressed in a black fitted suit, his long hair in a bun behind his head. It was awkward how formal the event was.

Her mother let go of her hand just as the man turned to her and Carlisia finally noticed his defined jaw and pale blue eyes that bore into her.

Gabriel's eyes landed on her and his pupils dilated.

Gabriel couldn't control himself as an intoxicating scent hit his nostrils. He began sniffing the room trying to identify the source.

Carlisia looked at him weird then at her mother with raised eyebrows.

For a moment she thought his eyes turned golden but in seconds it was gone.

Reuben watched closely, he had known the Alpha for a long time. This had never happened.

Gabriel finally regained control and moved his stare to Ben then to Maria, who looked at Carlisia intimidated.

"Carlisia this is Mr. Gabriel Kane. He works in the business with Ben." Maria said and Carlisia is filled with curiosity once again.

The guy that stood in front of her didn't seem more than twenty six making her wonder in what business he was in actually.

"Alpha- I mean Mr. Kane this is my daughter, Carlisia" Maria said introducing her daughter.

Gabriel looked at Carlisia and approached her. As he got closer to her the sweet intoxicating smell got stronger driving him crazy.