Chapter 51

Carlisia's breath was shaky just like her body. She felt the cold settle in her bones. The flimsy dress didn't do much in the clothing department let alone protect her from the chilling gust of winds that blew in the massive room.

Carlisia could hear the running water from the walls, the sound so calmingly at odds with the raging storm inside of her. As she opened her eyes, the world seemed to spin. Perhaps all that assault on her head had finally resulted in a brain injury. Carlisia stroked the side of her head where Carson had smacked it against the floor and gasped from pain as her fingers grazed over the bump.

She tried to get up but her body was too weak, she hadn't had food or water in a while. Her throat was dry from all the screaming earlier yet her resolve was absolute. She had to keep her senses sharp so she could examine her surroundings. The blindfold earlier and her current disorientation prevented her from doing so but she had come too far to give up.

If she could escape one monster, she could get away from another one. She just had to be smart. Her life had little value here, for some reason the existence of vampires didn't even surprise her.

She wouldn't be shocked if she stumbled upon witches on brooms or even a centaur in the forest anymore. A sigh escaped her as she closed her eyes and took deep breaths.

One.....Two...Three.....Inhale......One.....Two.......Three......Exhale

Carlisia opened her eyes and now the wall in front of her came into focus. The water trickled over dark stone, ferns growing from the cracks in between.

Where was she?

She had never seen architecture like this.

From what little she had seen while being attacked by Carson, she did think of this place to be a basement of sorts but it was too big to be a house, too old too.

She knew people were into brutalism but the smell in the air and the feel of the stone was too genuine to be a design of modern architecture.

Carlisia shifted and sharp pain shot up her head along with a wave of nausea.

How long had she been unconscious?

How long had it been since she was taken?

She can't remember the last time she had food to eat or water to drink. As if the thought triggered her thirst, Carlisia's tongue traced over her lips.

She gently got up in a sitting position and hugged her knees closer to her, flinching at the pain the movement brought on her torso.

There was definitely a bruise there.

Carlisia touched it over the flimsy fabric and flinched once more. She would need time to evaluate her body however, she did not have any. Carlisia tried to push herself up from the floor but the lack of food and the pain in her head made her sway.

It took a while to finally stand up, the world shifted around her and the minute she took the first step, she fell to the floor with a thud.

🌹

The air no longer nipped her skin. She was not on the floor and could no longer hear the steady flow of water over the walls. She felt warmer, more comfortable than the previous few times she slowly edged into consciousness.

Her eyes peeled open and instead of being greeted by the regular darkness, she found herself squinting her eyes close because of the faint orange light. She tried to reach up and rub her eyes but sharp pain shot up, instead.

She took in a sharp breath as blinked back the haze and finally saw the cause of the pain, an infusion set connected to an IV was taped on her hand, slowly dripping fluids into her body. She was still confused as she reached to remove it yet she couldn't.