Chapter 47

Gabriel's eyes opened with a sharp intake of breath. He looked around, he was still in his office. That wasn't a surprise.

Ever since that day Gabriel had bitten Carlisia, he couldn't bring himself to stay at home and remember how she had lain on the floor with blood pooling out of her, her eyes so vacant in her unconscious state that for a moment Gabriel thought he had killed her. He would sleep at the pack house and even then send most of his time in the office, only leaving when work couldn't distract him any longer.

Another feeling of dread passed over him, distant - almost like a kiss of the wind yet, it was there. Gabriel was used to these feelings, he felt it much clearly after the ordeal every night when Carlisia would have a nightmare, he had learned to accept them as a consequence of her actions yet, something was different now.

This wasn't the passing fear of a nightmare.

Something was wrong.

Something was wrong with Carlisia.

Gabriel looked at the time, it was a little past midnight. He knew Carlisia was home alone since Gabriel had ordered Reuben and Elijah to stay at the pack house. He still hadn't found the rogue's yet they had noticed activity in the forest of a small pack moving by, a pack that did not ask for permission first. By law, any pack moving over anyone else's teritorry had to first ask permission from the Alpha, it was political way of maintaining peace. Ben was once again away to organise a trade agreement between our pack and our hostile neighbours in west. Gabriel's eyes trailed to the Calendar in his groggy state and saw since it was Wednesday, Maria wouldn't be home for the next few hours either.

Despite all this, Carlisia was not unguarded. He always kept three of his people to watch her and if need be protect her from any threats. If there was a threat, he would be the first to know yet, he was sure something was.

Gabriel grabbed his cellphone and quickly dialled Thomas's number who was not only Rue's older brother but also one of the people who was on the night shift to watch over Carlisia.

"Good evening, Alpha."

The voice was curt and respectful, exactly what Gabriel expected. He was already out of his office and walking towards the elevator.

"Is everything fine?" Gabriel asked, he could feel his chest constrict, he was already out of the office now and walking towards his car.

"Yes, the Luna seems to be sleeping as usual."

Thomas replied, he sounded confused. Before Gabriel could reply another jolt of fear passed over him, much more pronounced than before.

"I need you to go inside the house right now and check on my mate. Something isn't right."

Gabriel could hear Thomas giving orders to everyone and then footsteps as he approached the house.

Gabriel was glad of the late hour and the roads empty as he sped through, his entire focus on getting close to Carlisia.

He could hear Thomas rummaging through the house, the ransacking got louder yet he didn't say anything but Gabriel could hear the agitation in his action and the distant sound of orders being shouted as Carlisia's house finally came into view.

Gabriel tried to focus his breathing as he got out of the car, why couldn't he hear Carlisia? He couldn't hear the rhythmic sound of her heart beat or the gentle snoring that wou;d accompany on other days.

The lights of the house were on along with that in Carlisia's room as Gabriel got out of the car and rushed inside, he didn't pay heed to his men frantically searching as he took two stairs at a time and finally found himself in Carlisia's room.