Chapter 44

Carlisia felt as numb and vacant as she looked. Her hands had shook viciously as she kept them folded on her lap while Gabriel tried to make small talk.

How the weather was beautiful.

How a pothole in the road needs to be fixed.

How she needed to eat more.

How he was lucky to have her.

All of it went over her head, as if none of this was directed at her. Unsurprisingly, she didn't reply to much of anything.

By the time the car stopped in front of her house, she couldn't take it anymore. She took only a step out before falling to her knees and embarrassingly dry heaving by a bush in the garden, she would have to apologise to Ben for that. Gabriel had tried to be cliche and hold her hair back but Carlisia had pushed him away and ran inside the house, bolting every single lock for good measure.

She was thankful Gabriel didn't force himself in, no one was at home to help her.

She had sobbed for a good while, her knees to her chest until she heard Gabriel speed away.

By the time she staggered up the steps towards her room, she was spent. She walked to the closet and in her haze didn't realise the person crouching down until she was pulled inside, with a hand on her mouth.

Carlisia's first instinct was to scream, to struggle.

"You need to stop struggling or Gabriel will find us. I am here to help you."

The hand came off her mouth on cue, the voice was as calm as it was the previous time.

"You tricked me the previous time we met." Carlisia whispered but moved in closer to keep her voice as low as possible.

"That was necessary. You were already so scared, I feared if you knew I wasn't supposed to be there you would have behaved irrational."

"How else would you have expected me to?" Carlisia whispered and Rose put up her hand to silence her.

"Look, I am here to help you."

Carlisia scoffed,

"As if you creatures do anything from the goodness of your hearts."

At that Rose scowled.

"Fine, if you have this all sorted, shoo away. I'll stay here for an hour or two and leave once that mate of yours has disappeared from the forest."

That silenced Carlisia.

"What do you want in return?" Carlisia added after a moment of silence, staring at the scar along Rose's face.

"Nothing. We tend to help humans abused by our kind. That is all you need to know."

Carlisia looked at her sceptically, this was very vague for an explanation.

"I don't need your help." Carlisia replied after a moment of thought.

Whenever a deal looked too good to be true, it most definitely had a healthy sprinkling of bullshit and Carlisia didn't want to bargain any more with these creatures.

"Fine. It was an honest offer. Let me stay here an hour or two and I'll leave once the coast is clear but know this, Gabriel has an ironclad alert on you, you can't leave this town without him knowing let alone the country." Rose said.

Carlisia stared at her, contemplating her options.

"How will you help me, exactly?"

"I'll contact you once the arrangements are made. It's as simple as that. You already have a bag made anyways, I only ask you to not discuss this with anyone. No one can be trusted."