Chapter 33

Carlisia was moved to the hospital the very next morning, Maria and Ben had stayed at the infirmary all night while Gabriel had sat out the door just listening to the beeps.

He hadn't said anything when they had rolled her out in the morning, she looked pale as ever with three people by her side, making sure to move the machines with her body.

Maria looked like a ghost too, as she followed her daughter like a zombie, her weight supported by Ben. Neither of them acknowledged him.

Gabriel just felt numb as he saw her being loaded into the ambulance, as he watched the ambulance leave with his mate.

He had done nothing the entire day, just sat in his office and thought things through. He tried to remember exactly when he had fucked everything so badly, was it the first day they had met and he had accidentally pushed her across the room.

Or was it when he had accidentally grabbed her too hard and bruised her arm?

The problem was never her. It was always him.

His desire, his love could have killed her.

Her life was on the balance because of his wants, he had chosen to take what she had never offered.

The feeling of dread had settled in the pit of his stomach as he realised one thing with assurity, he was the problem.

He didn't feel any better when he decided to visit the hospital and found her still sedated. He stood by her side taking the sight of her in, the bruises were bandaged but there was a wet cloth on her forehead.

"The bite on her side is infectious."

Gabriel turned to find Maria entering the room, her eyes hollow, trained on Carlisia.

"We had to cut out the infected parts, and stitch her back up." Maria reached for the rag on Carlisia's forehead and placed a new cooler one.

Gabriel stayed quiet, his eyes not leaving Carlisia's face as Maria stood infront of him, her head raised.

Gabriel lazily trailed his eyes from Carlisia to meet her mothers.

"When she wakes up, I don't want you to visit. I want you far away from her." Maria's voice cracked and Gabriel could feel anger rising in him.

"I am your Alpha, Maria. I will do as I wish with my mate."

"She is my daughter before you are my Alpha." Maria spits and Gabriel raises an eyebrow, bored.

"It will do you well to remember that my mercy only extends so far."

On cue, footsteps were heard and Ben entered the room, his gaze was cool over Gabriel.

"Please excuse my wife, Alpha. My family is going through a difficult time."

Ben stood in front of Maria, shielding her but Maria was hot as coals as she pushed from behind Ben and stood in front of him again.

"You talk about mercy yet you mauled my daughter? You can be delusional and say it was your right to mark her but markings are done once, you bit her three times. Three times!" Tears followed down Maria's face as she sobbed, falling to the ground in a heap, Ben beside her, cradling her head to his chest.

"Three times." She kept on repeating.

Ben shushed Maria, cradling her in his arms as the older woman sobbed like a little child.

"I cannot ask you to leave, Alpha but, my family and I would appreciate some privacy." Ben said as Maria went limp in his arms and he cursed.

Gabriel stared at Ben and then a limp Maria before quietly walking out of the hospital room.