Chapter 42

Gabriel leaned against the oak desk in his home office, staring out into the garden as the first drops of rain hit the leaves, there was a fire burning at the back, he could hear the wood crackling.

For a moment he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, trying to calm himself but his efforts were in vain. He couldn't bring himself to forget the fear a glimpse of him instilled in his mate. More importantly he couldn't forget the way Zane comforted her. How Carlisia didn't flinch away from his touch, welcomed it even.

"Zane Matthews has boarded the flight for Sydney."

Gabriel clutched the phone harder.

"Give me an update once he lands in Sydney." Gabriel grunts before ending the call.

The scene from the mall replayed in his mind, how Zane had rushed to her side, how Carlisia had sought comfort in Zane from him. That should have been him protecting her, not someone else protecting her from him.

It should have been him who Carlisia would turn to, his chest she would nuzzle her face into, his comfort she should want.

He saw how Zane had brought two handbags and handed one over to Carly with a cheeky smile. He had seen how all the worries from her face had disappeared as she had blushed at him. Blushed!

That cheapskate only brought her one bag! He could buy the entire store for her if that's what she would have liked.

Gabriel welcomed the stabbing pain in his hand as a sinister look took over his features.

Zane was gone and things would go back to normal. He would visit Carlisia tomorrow and beg her if he needs to but they needed to move forward from this.

With that Gabriel threw the cellphone he had crushed into the crackling fire, letting his blood drip and stain the wall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carlisia had bags underneath her eyes as she pressed more concealer to hide them. It had been a month since Gabriel attacked her. Today was Monday and Carlisia was finally returning to school.

She was thankful her mother had talked to the school administration, it hadn't taken much to convince them to allow her the privilege of a blotchy attendance with everything going on. All she had to do now was to make sure she completed her extra credit work and if all went well, she'll end high school on a high no matter how low she felt.

She rubbed her eyes a bit, trying to make sure she didn't move her concealer. She hadn't slept last night either. She had dreamt the same dream over and over again, a reminder of that day.

For a moment, everything went out of focus as she remembered that moment, how she was helpless and pinned to the wall with Gabriels teeth inside her. She remembered the sharp pain when he pulled away and while she was in pain he had looked up with a euphoric - almost satisfied expression on his face, her blood dripping down his mouth and neck, staining his clothes.

Carlisia didn't realise she was crying until she felt moisture on her neck. She jolted out of her thoughts and looked at herself in the mirror for a moment, her concealer was ruined. Her eyes trailed to the twin scars on either side of her neck.

She felt pathetic as more tears escaped her and before she knew it she broke down in a fit of sobs. She was a wheezing mess by the time she grabbed the makeup remover and removed what little she had put on.

She looked at the purple underneath her eyes, the hollows in her cheeks, the lack of colour on her skin and hated herself. She hated the fact her dad died, he hated the fact she had to move here and she hated that she ever met Gabriel. She knew she would be much better if she hadn't ever met him. She grabbed the inhaler and took a spritz then another.