Chapter 39

"I thought you found my office to be imposing, yet here you are. Didn't realise you had become an early bird."

It was 9 am and Gabriel sat behind his large oak desk, smirking at the person before him.

"You already know why I am here."

"Yes. I do. What kind of mate would I be if I didn't know exactly what my mate and her brother talk about in the early hours of the morning?"

"The obsessive kind, that's the kind." Reuben scowled and Gabriel smirked leaning back in his chair.

Reuben sighed when Gabriel didn't reply,

"I wanted to ask if you would allow Carlisia to go back to Australia."

Gabriel knew this was coming, despite it, his blood seemed to boil.

"Fine, I'll let her go then what? What happens when a rival gets a hold of her? Did you really think that word wouldn't go like wildfire that my mate is a human? Every creature that exists knows at this point! We have already had infiltrators contacting her within our territory. What happens when she leaves and someone grabs a hold of her? Are you willing to risk that because I am not."

Gabriel was calm as the words slipped from his mouth. Reuben stared at him and for once Gabriel noticed he was tired. While the conversation yesterday with Carlisia might have been a first but Gabriel was sure Maria might have said the same thing to him and the weight of it might be getting to him.

"Send someone with her for protection. She isn't doing well, Gabriel. I don't want her to hurt herself." Reuben said.

"I won't let anyone hurt, even herself. I have put a flight alert on her, she is not allowed to leave the country, that is if she manages to get to an airport to begin with. I have appointed some of our best shadows all around Fircrest to keep an eye on your house. Beyond this conversation, if you or anyone implies to take Carlisia out of my territory would be considered a traitor and would be dealt with as such."

Reuben's face was blank as Gabriel continued,

"Also, your immaturity and rashness to make decisions puts this pack at risk. I hereby remove you as Beta."

The room fell into an eerie silence as Gabriel's words hung in the air. Reuben's face contorted with a mix of shock and anger, his eyes narrowing into icy slits. The tension between them crackled like electricity, and Gabriel could almost taste the bitterness in the atmosphere.

"You can't be serious," Reuben finally spoke, his voice laced with venom.

"You're removing me as Beta just like that? After all I've done for this pack?"

Gabriel's smirk transformed into a cold, hard expression, his eyes glinting with an intensity that sent a shiver down Reuben's spine. "Your loyalty to this pack has been clouded by personal attachments, Reuben. You've become a liability, putting the safety of our kind at risk. I can't afford to let sentimentality blind our judgement."

Reuben's fists clenched at his sides, his knuckles turning white. "Sentimentality? Carlisia is my sister! I will protect her with my life if I have to."

Gabriel leaned forward, his voice dripping with authority. "And I will protect her with the power I possess as Alpha. I know the risks better than anyone. Sending someone with her won't be enough. The moment she steps out of this territory, she becomes vulnerable, a target. We cannot let that happen."

A flicker of uncertainty crossed Reuben's eyes, battling against his fierce determination. "So, what? You think you can protect her better by confining her to this place, locking her away like a prisoner?"

Gabriel's tone turned icy. "I am doing what is necessary to keep her safe. I'm not imprisoning her; I'm shielding her from the dangers that await her beyond our borders. It's for her own good."

Reuben's anger simmered beneath the surface, his voice strained. "And what about her happiness? What about her dreams and aspirations? Is she just supposed to sacrifice everything for the sake of this pack? Lest I remind you she is terrified of you, or have you forgotten how you forcefully marked her and it backfired bigtime."

Gabriel's face darkened, his eyes narrowing into menacing slits. The mention of Carlisia's fear struck a nerve deep within him, but he quickly regained his composure.

"I haven't forgotten," he hissed through clenched teeth, his voice dripping with a mixture of anger and frustration. "But she doesn't understand the world we live in, the dangers that lurk in the shadows. I am protecting her from herself as much as I am protecting her from others."

Reuben's voice wavered slightly, a tinge of desperation creeping in. "But at what cost, Gabriel? At the cost of her freedom? Her happiness?"

Gabriel's expression hardened, his jaw tightening. "Freedom and happiness are luxuries we cannot afford in our world, Reuben. Sacrifices must be made for the greater good. Carlisia's safety comes before anything else."

Reuben's hands trembled, his eyes welling up with unshed tears. "And what about me, Gabriel? Am I just another pawn to be discarded when I no longer serve your purpose?"

Gabriel's gaze turned cold and unyielding. "You were never just a pawn, Reuben. But sometimes sacrifices must be made for the survival of our kind. If you cannot accept that, then perhaps you never truly understood what it means to be a part of this pack."

The room grew suffocatingly silent, the weight of their fractured bond hanging heavy in the air. Reuben's shoulders slumped, defeat etching deep lines into his face. With a heavy sigh, he turned towards the door, his voice filled with resignation.

"Fine, Gabriel. If this is the path you've chosen, then so be it. But know this, I will protect Carlisia, no matter the cost. Even if it means going against you."

Gabriel's jaw tightened, "I've learned from my mistakes, Reuben. I will make amends and ensure her safety. As for her dreams and aspirations, she will find fulfilment within the pack. We will provide her with everything she needs, and she will come to understand the gravity of the situation."

Gabriel's eyes gleamed with a glint of challenge as he continued, "I would also suggest you to be very careful, Reuben. Betrayal has consequences."

Reuben's eyes blazed with anger, his voice dripping with defiance. "She is not a possession to be claimed. She deserves freedom and happiness, even if it means leaving this pack behind."

The room fell into a heavy silence, the weight of their opposing views pressing down on them. Gabriel's gaze bore into Reuben's, his voice laced with a chilling finality. "I will not let her go, Reuben. She is mine, and she will remain within these walls, with me, exactly where she belongs.

Reuben's shoulders slumped, defeated for the moment. "You're making a grave mistake, Gabriel. One that you will regret."

Gabriel's smirk returned, a hint of darkness dancing in his eyes. "Time will tell, my dear former Beta. Now, if you have nothing else to say, I suggest you leave."

Reuben stood up, his gaze filled with disappointment and a touch of sorrow. Without uttering another word, he turned and walked out of the office, leaving Gabriel alone.

Alone in his imposing office, Gabriel's features softened for a moment, a flicker of doubt crossing his eyes. But he quickly shook off the sentiment, burying it deep within himself. In a world where survival meant embracing the shadows, he had made his choice. And he would do whatever it took to protect what was his, even if it meant forcing her, she was his after all.