Chapter Forty-Six: Pre-Birth Worry

Battles went past, months went past and soon, when you looked down, you couldn't even see your feet.

"He's on his way." Henry piped up, breaking the lined silence as he read a letter given to him not too long ago, the cream paper folded neatly. The pair of you were signing documents in your private office, coloured lighting dripping in through the stained glass window. "I suppose being past your due date has him shitting himself." The man sniggered, folding the paper another time and sliding it into his pocket before stamping another file you slid across the polished table.

"Can we not talk about the child about to be birthed from me? I'm like a ticking time bomb." You groaned, imagining the fuss Hubert was going to make once he arrived, "And who are you calling 'he'? It's been months!" You swatted Henry's arm as he still forgot to refer to Hubert by his title. 

"Like he's bothered." Henry shrugged, wading his slim arms through the stacks of papers, "However if it really bothers you...I'll try and call him by something more 'regal'." he sniffed, hating the idea of having to address the Vestra man by anything other than doomsday. 

You gave up when it came to the pair, sometimes they were brilliant with each other- devising masterful tactics and acing the act of government with ease, but when it came to personal life and their Queen; neither Henry nor Hubert could cease their fighting over your attention and praise. But then again, Henry did try to end your relationship, it's no wonder Hubert could be so callous to the man. 

~Hubert~

"And you've got your stamps, right? Right?" Edelgard called out from the back of the assembly hall where three leather bags piled up against each other, her violet eyes scanning everything in sight. "Hubert! You forgot stamps!" She slapped her hip in frustration and fell back into the rich armchair behind her. 

The man of the hour could be heard sighing from the other room, his weary head peering out from behind the large open double doors, "In my pocket, Lady Edelgard." He hummed, tapping the side of his arse to where he had a plethora of Adrestian stamps stored in its pocket. "You're worrying, you may get a headache." He continued, walking over to the Empress whilst reading a letter sent from Henry.

"What makes you say that?" she quizzed, glancing up at the tall man who was now frowning at the contents of his letter- she didn't pry, but merely tilted her head in confusion. 

"My wife gets them regularly." He sniffed, not tearing his green eyes away from the paper and ignoring his old friend's burning gaze. "The baby is late." Hubert paused, "Which is good for me..." He bit the inside of his cheek as the letter finally was folded back into his pocket.

"But bad for ___ and the baby." Edelgard finished off her ministers sentence, folding her arms and crossing her left leg over her right, the red drapes she wore cascaded down her calfs. "This is normal." She added, now making eye contact with the sickened man.

"Is it?" He raised a thin brow, "Or are you just saying that?" 

"I suppose I'm no midwife." Edelgard sighed in defeat, Hubert could always see right through her. "But you're the first one out of us all to start a family, we have to learn somehow!" It came out like a whine, although she didn't mean it to. 

"We had bets that it would be Dorothea, right?" The now 'regal' man sniggered at the gamble him and his liege made a few years back- guessing that the songstress would have found her husband before anyone else. "How peculiar that it would be me."

Edelgard followed suit, chuckling lightly- something she hardly did, "Exactly my thought when you told me. I was so worried your duties to me would prevent you from having the life you've wanted to live." She spoke with knowing how Hubert had always wanted a family of his own, a loving one, one so far from the one he grew up with. "Either way, as Ferdinand said before- your carriage is outside." A small hand padded in red gloves waved impatiently at the man, shooing him away from her. 

"I'm stalling, aren't I?" Hubert coughed, rolling his shoulders that held up the long black cloak he usually wore. 

"Correct." Edelgard fixed herself, grabbing Hubert's arm and squeezing it from her seated position, "You'll be a wonderful father. I'm just sorry that I cannot be there to witness it yet." A sweet smile from the young woman allowed Hubert to return a rare grin back, a nod of his head was all that remained before he headed out for the carriage in the entrance. 

*** 

He wasn't used to Nestra's Castle, how it had mountains of stairs, underground passageways and new staff who eyed the raven haired man up as if he were prisoner. But what Hubert did like were the warmly lit corridors, the amazing dinners and of course- his wife.

Speaking of, she wasn't there to greet him. He stood aimlessly in the grand hall, arms hanging by his sides as neither Henry or ___ were to be in sight. In fact, everyone seemed to be busy with something, cleaners were cleaning, guards were as silent as ever and there was not a single prestigious noble in sight. 

"Sire." A small, slim page boy was bent double in front of Hubert, his skinny arm outstretched to reveal a letter. 

"Who from?" Hubert blinked, uncomfortable with the role he played in this kingdom as the Queen's husband, or now Prince Consort. "And... er, at ease." He muttered, slipping his thumb under the crimson stamp as the boy stood back up straight. 

"Lord Henry." He squeaked, a small sigh being heard. "He wishes to apologise for not meeting you."

Hubert nodded, the letter simply had a door number and 'password' on it, the password being "Ram" of course. "Alright, that's all, you're free to go." The now Prince Consort expected to be left alone after dismissing the messenger, however once he lowered the note, Hubert's eyes were met with the rather scared brown ones he saw before. 

"A-apologies Sire-" The boy began to speak again, his words evading him however as Hubert seemed to scare most in sight. 

"You're to accompany me?" He guessed, rather irritated that Henry most likely purposely sent a boy scared of his own shadow to guide Hubert to the destination given on the letter. "Very well, lead the way." 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I updated in what I think has been over ten months! I'm sooooo sorry, I have just fallen into a web of school work. But I love Fire emblem and loveee this story so I will try and finish it. 

A lil personal update: I got COVID :( , I'm going to try and write however whilst I'm home isolating.