Chapter twenty-seven: Tea?

I drew what I imagined yours and Hubert's teen daughter would be like :) I'm not the best drawer, but I thought it would be fun to imagine 0.0

Obviously I have no idea what you look like- so I left colouring the drawing out. It's also crap camera quality because I have work to do.

It was three days before Edelgard took the crown, Hubert had been working around the clock- in and out of the castle wanting everything to go smoothly, in fact he had been working so hard he had barely been eating or sleeping.

That's where you come in, a worrisome letter from Adrestia reached your doors, not the reply from Hubert you wanted but in fact a letter from his household. Sentences over sentences reading that Hubert hadn't even been residing in Garreg Mach- but in Vestra Manor.

Something about this ticked you the wrong way, why was he there? And why was his family so concerned? The last time Hubert spoke of his parents it was not something positive. Either way you were going to get to the bottom of it, the Vestra's requested your presence at their manor and you were going to comply.

* * *

"She'll be here soon Marlex." A soft woman walked into the Maquis' study, her black waves falling down to her waist. "Should we meet her?"

"You go ahead, Tretha. Just make sure Hubert doesn't find out right away." The man didn't look at his wife, too busy focusing on his work and plan at hand.

"Y-yes."It nearly came out like a whisper, it was no secret that Tretha was scared of her husband- almost everyone was. She tucked her small, pale hands into the pockets of her grey dress that hung past her knees, showing a small part of her ankles coated in black tights and old black heels.

"Lady Vestra, Queen ___ has arrived at the gates." A maid scurried off into the tea room, preparing for you to arrive.

Tretha sighed,  hovering a few feet from the main doors, her own feet together and fingers locked in anxiousness. Thoughts on how Hubert would react were playing out in her mind. That continued until both doors swung open, a well dressed young lady stood outside in the cold, head to toe in expensive gear fit for the winter- her beautiful face covered in a familiar scarf and a black crown needled into her head.

"Y-you must be Lady ___." Tretha smiled, noticing how cold the young queen was, she ushered you in, "Come in, quickly."

You blinked at the woman, her hair was as black as the night and her pale skin made it obvious she was Hubert's mother. She seemed rather...nice.

"Ah, yes, you may refer to me as ___. It's nice to meet you, Lady Vestra." Shaking the woman's frail hand worried you more- she seemed so weak, scared and nervous about almost anything.

"Tretha- please." raising an arm out she motioned to a room, "Tea? It's quite cold."

You followed the small woman down the vast entrance, pondering if she knew you were her son's beloved. Speaking of which, where was he?

"I made sure to prepare some before you came, I hope you like cinnamon blend?" Two maids pulled out some quaint chairs by a window- possibly the only bright room in this place.

"Cinnamon? That's Hubert's favourite." You laughed lightly, "It seems you're alike." Taking the white cup in your hands you breathed it in- finally something warm.

"You noticed! I wasn't sure how well you knew my son." Her eyes lit up with pride, perhaps Hubert was saved after all with such a woman in his life.

-H-

Hustle from downstairs broke my focus, did they seriously invite over a guest? Now? My letter to Lady Edelgard was almost complete and here my Parents were- finding any way possible to block my actions subconsciously. I dropped the quill and rubbed my eyes in exhaustion, whoever was visiting surely wasn't important enough for me to have been notified.

Behind me was my seating area and behind that was my bed, damn it I wanted to sleep so badly. The white sheets and pillows looked more inviting than a coffee.

"Coffee- yes. I'll make a coffee." talking to myself became a hobby of mine, right next to my door was a tray of cups and a bag of coffee beans...or perhaps an empty bag.

"Damn it all." I hauled back the oak door, stepping through it into a dark, narrow hall. My quarters resided at the end of said hall, where light barely reached.

Each step I took lead me closer to the open balcony that looks over the main entrance hall, of course my room had to be so close to such an area, if only I was placed on the third floor, interruptions like this wouldn't happen.

"Tea? It's quite cold." I heard my mother ask, perhaps it was count Varley's wife, they congregate often over tea. Once reaching the staircase it seemed they had thankfully gone.

Laughter and giggles emitted from the room, whoever this person was they seemed to be close to my mother, such an unlikely thing. Mother tends to be scared of her own shadow at the best of times.

"Lord Hubert!" A frantic maid stood at the door of the tea room, the laughter stopped and silence filled the Manor, as it should do.

"Hm, tell my mother I am working. Her loud tea breaks can wait until my business is over." I snarled, the maid looked behind her into the room- clearly everyone in there heard my words.

"What?" I spat- this was getting tiresome, "Is there something wrong?"

"Would you like me to fill up that bag for you, sire?" The old bat ignored my question and reached for the bag, only to be stopped by a feminine voice.

"Hubert? Don't be so rude." it tutted, that voice was not my mother. Nor was it count Varley's wife.

My boots were glued to the carpet and my heart stopped beating- it couldn't be, could it? I denied it over and over, managing to shuffle my way to the doors of that dreaded room to be dumbfounded at who and what I saw.

"___?!" Holding the frame of the door to keep me from toppling over, I spluttered my words,"Why are you? Vestra...Manor?" I made no sense but neither did this! How did she get here? In fact I was almost sure she said such a thing would be impossible at the moment and yet she was happily enjoying tea with my mother!

"Hubert, ___'s a guest, compose yourself." Mother gushed, clearly having some sort of an idea on who ___ really was to me. They were even on first name basis- she really does know how to make a point.

"Tea, Doomsday? It's your favourite~"  ___ held up the cup, a grin plastered on her face, relishing in the fact that she had me completely starstruck in my own home. A maid pulled out another chair to the middle of the table, between both my love and my mother.

"I-uh." Clearing my throat I handed the coffee bag to the old maid and braced myself , my eyes not leaving ___'s breathtaking form. "Alright."

------------------------------------------------

Yay after a month u be back. I haven't been uploading as much as I wanted so I will be uploading these three I have been working on in the space of two days.

FHQ- 'Her loud tea breaks can wait.'