Chapter seven: An assignment.

Lunch already. There was an hours break between now and for when class started again for students to eat, train, or do as they please. You, Henry Edelgard and Doomsday were sat together again; eating. 

"After you and Henry... left, the professor told us of an assignment we had to do this lunch in the library. It's just some simple revision on tactics we need to note down it shouldn't take too long." Edelgard informed you, all of you had finished your food and going to the library seemed like an appealing idea, knowing Ernest was crawling about somewhere.

"Well, I'll head there now then. Henry?" You turned to see Henry taking a sip out of your mug and sighed, he would only hold you down anyway with his excitement on the date he has tonight with Dorothea. "I guess it's just us three then, I'll do Henry's load for today." looking at Hubert and Edelgard you saw an awkward smile pointed your way.

"About that." Edelgard started and you could see where it was going, "I have some important business to take care of. So Hubert will be pulling my weight too." 

Hubert sighed and stood up, "Come on then." he looked down at your furrowed brows, sighing.

Swatting Henry with a book you left, Hubert traipsing off after you.

* * *

Silence. Your nose was buried in a book about battle tactics and Hubert was sat opposite you on the table writing down everything you said was in the book.

"It says a units health is maximized by whether they're planning to retreat or fight to the death." You looked up from the book to face Hubert.

"Everyone knows that." He replied cockily. Lips thinned.

"Yeah, but that's what the book says. The sooner we get to twenty points, the sooner we can leave." Pointing at Hubert's book, you continued. "We have got quite a bit so far. Do you need a break?"

"No. But if you want one we can take one." He didn't look at you while talking, he was writing down the previous point you gave down in Edelgard's and Henry's book. Then stopped to take a sip of coffee he took with him from the dining hall.

"Let's just take five. I need to copy the notes into our books too." You pushed aside the tactical book and replaced it with two identical ones, one reading 'Hubert Von Vestra' and the other '___ Van Wallskien'

The deal was for Hubert to do Edelgard's and Henry's books while you did their own. You took the candle in the middle of the table and moved it closer to your books, revealing the contents in the books. Flipping through Hubert's pages to find the next clean page, you noticed how odd his writing was.

"Is everything alright?" Hubert looked up to see you quietly gazing through his last piece of work.

"Your writing starts off so neat yet at the end of each page gets so messy." you hummed, looking at the contrast of style.

"Once I reach the end of a page my hand covers most of the lines, so my writing is strained trying to fill the whole page." he paused for a moment, "In other words.."

"Your hands are too big." you teased, looking up with a grin. Hubert inhaled deeply, he hadn't seen a genuine smile aimed at him from you before. It put him at a great unease to hear your solicitude. His plan was to find out what you were up to, not to make friends. But he couldn't help growing attached to your personality and similar sarcastic wit.

"What? Did I hurt your feelings that bad?" you cooed, just like you do with Ernest. Not noticing that you were slightly leaning forward, something Hubert noticed right away.

"No." On spur of moment, he was filled with little words. A drop of sweat forming on his upper brow and an extended inhale. He wasn't used to this side of you, the way the light shined on your face and hair made him just stare. You were something else, a closed book. But he knew you may be a dangerous one so it was his choice if he wanted to take the risk.

'Not now Hubert' He thought. Edelgard was his top priority, not trying to get all goody-goody with you or attempting to slide himself into your life. Although he would be lying if he said he didn't want to get to know you more.

"We should get back to work, I'll read from the book this time." A short, black, lock of hair flopped over his eye as he began to scan another tactics book; you sitting there in confusion.

"Alright." You slumped back into your hard chair, the feather on your quill tracing your cheeks in thought. Hubert reacted very differently to what you were expecting, he felt your eyes on him and did his best to block out the heavy weight of your gaze on his face.

* * *

The end of the day was drawing near and you still had to return Hubert's tactical book to him, nor did you ask for Henry's back. You went separate ways after finishing in the Library, and in the classroom you sat as far apart as possible. Luckily, Professor Byleth gave a five minute chance to finish off all assessments before handing them in, so you instantly tried to get Hubert's attention without walking to his table.

"What are you doing?" Henry raised a brow, he was previously talking with Edelgard and 'Ferdinand' but the suspicious movements you were making stopped them all from talking.

"Trying to retrieve your stupid book from stupid Hubert."

Ferdinand laughed, "He's stupid all right. Allow me to help, ___." Raising a hand to his heart like a 'gentleman' Ferdinand turned around in his chair, taking a close lidded pot of hard ink into his hand and launched it at full speed towards the moping man in the dark corner. A complete reversal to his previous traits. 

Perhaps Hubert was the off switch on Ferdinand's gentlemanly appearance. 

The pot hit Hubert in the chest, causing him to widen his eyes more than all four of you thought was humanly possible, of course they went right back to normal when he saw you, Henry and Ferdinand crying laughing at his shock. Poor Edelgard was biting her lip in worry of what would happen next.

"What. Do. You.Want?" An expected hushed hiss was released from him. Hubert was now at the scene, palms pressed down on each table, staring down Ferdinand- who by the way was holding a cheeky grin.

"___ for some reason wanted your grumpy ass over here." Ferdinand kept his cool and his choice of wording made it seem like he had a death wish.

"I wanted to give you your book, and to ask for Henry's back." you felt shy, Hubert was angrier than usual and was admittedly scary. 

"And you got Ferdinand to throw something at me for it?!" Hubert flared -up, reaching into a  black satchel that was hanging off his shoulder. Out came Henry's book, hurling it down in front of the fawn haired man beside you; then reached out over you to get his book from your desk. 

Everyone was silent as Hubert's chest came into direct vision to your face, a face that was now burning up in embarrassment and much more. To say you were 'pink' would be the biggest understatement of the year.

"Hubert-" Edelgard began, but knew there was no point in trying to calm him during class times so allowed him to walk out without uttering another word.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What's new? Ferdi annoying Hubie again. I do low-key love Ferdinand tho.