Chapter Forty-two: Suited and Booted

"___, what's going on?" Hubert strided alongside you down a seemingly never ending coridoor in castle Ranlord, his wedding suit still glued to his ripped muscles and his sharp dress shoes padded against the plush purple and gold running carpet.

"Hush now, Hubert." you waved a hand to quiet the man as you pulled a key from the hidden pocket in your dress, openeing a small dusted door cautiously you hauled yourself and Hubert in there before locking it behind you both. "Quick, undress." You clapped your hands at him, rushing over to the rusty set of draws left in the room and pulling out one of them draws with both hands.

"Uh now? Really?" Hubert raised a hand to the back of his neck, the other hand fumbled with his silk tie rappidly and nervously.

"Do you need help or something?" You peered over your shoulder to see your now husband almost fully nude, "I guess not." you sniggered, pulling out a whole new outfit from the draws and placing them neatly onto a chipped wooden table. "Your uniform." you stated, proudly beaming at him.

"Uniform?" Hubert's adrenaline declined as he realised his thoughts were strongly mistaken.

"Yes! Your Nestrian uniform! I had it designed especially for you." You rested both of your hands on his broad, bare shoulders, "I hope you like it.." You whispered, leaning up to kiss his thinned lips, your mildly pregnant stomach pressed against his hips as your mouth opened to deepen the kiss.

"Of course I'll love it, you designed it." Hubert scoffed within smooches, as if you needed to be told- it could be ugly to the whole of Fodlan and he'd still wear it. "Why the sudden need for me to try it on?" he rested his hands on your waist whilst gazing at the extravagant garments foulded on the table, "This is our wedding day" He pouted slightly, upset he couldn't have a 'normal' wedding like others- or a normal day in general.

"I...Have a secret, just promise to change into this, I'll send someone to collect you shortly." You pulled away from his loose grip, "Oh- and don't forget the sword." You pointed to the corner where a shining golden rapier sat boldly.

"Is that.. a rapier..? And a pure golden one at that." Hubert muttered to himself once you closed the doors, "What on Earth does she have planned?"

------

Hubert looked in the scrawny mirror, clearly this room had been forgotten about for quite some time as it had no window and dust seemed to gather like blankets. Staring back at him was a man he had never seen before, one with more aurthority and power than he could ever imagined having as a young Vestra heir.

 His hair was glossy and black, even though he may have just married the love of his life Hubert still felt inferior to the beautiful Queen. A thick, black collar snaked around his upper neck, hugging it in a snug embrace were two large pearls tying it together at his Adam's apple. Golden pads perched themselves on his broad shoulders, thick matching tassles drooped down to the mid of his torso, hiding into the middle of the crimson tunic while a shining silk deep purple sash wrapped itself around the mans body. 

"Sire." A rough knocking brought Hubert back to his senses, the door slowly opened at the result of no responce, "Her majesty has sent me to collect you." Henry teased, calling his old ally 'sire' in jest.

"That sounds sickly coming from you." Hubert spat, fixing his tight black trousers one last time and sighing in thought. "What is she up to, Henry?" Hubert's green eyes met with Henry's grey ones for once in many moons.

"You expect me to tell you that? Psh, it seems the uniform has gotten to your head. I did tell her to wait~" Henry waved his hands in the air while the pair walked side-by-side down the lavish halls. "Either way you have beaten me Hubert, well done." His tone changed as his hands dropped down to his sides.

"Beaten you? Gods don't tell me your little stunt last year was because of jealousy, was it?" Hubert never forgave Henry over that, and Henry never explained himself either- until now.

"No. Not jealousy." Henry stiffened a laugh, "I didn't trust you." He hummed, swinging his arms while he paced like a child, "I knew you loved Lady ___, everyone knew that. But to be her husband? I did not trust that you had it in you- with your devotion to Edelgard and Embarr." 

"So you forged your liege's writing in order to get me to crumble? Give up?" Hubert looked to the man, one of the only people he knew was actually taller than him. "I believe that to be false- unless you really are that stupid...Which I know you're not."

"True." Henry agreed, turning left and down a wide set of stairs that centred themselves in a bright hall stoned in white marble. "I suppose, thinking back on it now, I did wish you would prevail- perhaps that why I tried something so tranquil. But in the end it was Lady ___ who put two and two together." 

The pair stood in silence, one knowing what was about to take place, the other deep in thought.

"I still don't trust you." Henry stood in front of Hubert, fixing his collar and belt that held his sword on his hips. "But ___ does. Do not let her or Nestra down." It was an order, a clear one which brought Hubert's mind into realisation.

This was his Coronation.