Chapter thirty: Ferdinand von Aegir.

"You're here to stay? I appreciate the advanced troops, ___." Byleth looked the exact same, even his clothes were the same.

"Don't mention it, once hearing of this I'm sure Henry will join too." You uncrossed your legs, tapping the wooden table with your nails due to the tension lingering between you and Hubert, who happened to be standing in a corner eyeing you up. "If that's all, I have something to do." You coughed, trying to give the old professor a hint.

"Of course. War council is on a thursday at six." Byleth nodded, watching you stand up from the chair, fixing your clothes.

"Noted." You replied, nearly jogging to the door.

---

"What was that about?" Byleth turned, looking at Edelgard and Hubert in confusion.

"Nothing." Hubert replied, eyes fixated on the door. "Don't concern yourself with it."

---

Sunset. Supposidly the most romantic time of day, it would be good if you had someone to share it with, but Hubert wasn't on speaking terms with you- apparently he had things to think about.

Whatever that meant.

"___?" A voice echoed behind you, Ferdinand came out of the dining hall, his long hair blowing in the warm air, "What are you doing sitting here?"

"I have nothing better to do." You didn't turn around, letting the red head shuffle and sit next to you on the steps, both of you admiring the view. "Tell me, Ferdinand. What have the past five years been like?"

"Hmm, well I'd say good as far as wars go, of course with the professor gone it could've been better, but we lost no one from the Black Eagle Strike Force." He leaned back on both hands, closing his eyes and breathing in the air, "Hubert missed you. A lot." 

"It doesn't seem like it." You sighed, wanting nothing more than to be held by the man of the hour.

"Well take it from a person who saw him each day. He struggled, badly. You just need to give him time to comprehend things." Ferdinand lightly pushed your shoulder, getting you to look at him. "Enjoy the time you have now, without Henry and your duties. Relax." He smiled, you hadn't seen this side of him before- perhaps time does change people.

"Thank you, Ferdinand." You smiled back, "I can count on you to be a good friend."

"Of course, I missed you too, you know. Our tea conversations and study dates." He laughed, covering the feelings he held deep down inside him. "Hubert's lucky to have someone like you; you changed him for the better."

You both sat there in silence, just enjoying eachothers company, hands side by side on the cold stone, not noticing the green eyes gazing at your two figures.

Hubert was on his way to the green house, passing through the Dining Hall seemed like the quickest way, until he saw Ferdinand and yourself sat watching the sunset, joking, laughing and nudging shoulders. His heart sank, his eyes drooped and the words 'I love you' were moving further from his mind.

However something pulled him out of that depression, the look in Ferdinand's eye, one he knew all too well- having used it before himself. Was he the traitor? Perhaps you were not at fault here, his newly found 'friend' seemed to also have feelings for the love of his life.

Just when Hubert manages to call someone a friend, just when he feels the hauntings of his father had finally left him, his life turns to shit again.

"You know, I might go into town. Let my hair down, y'know?" You mentioned, Hubert raised his brows, he wanted to follow you, to make sure you would be safe but Ferdiand offered his services instead.

"I'll accompany you if you would like, I actually have been meaning to go myself." Ferdi piped up, somehow not feeling the eyes buring into the back of his skull.

You thought to yourself, you knew Ferdi was just a friend, but if Hubert or anyone else for that matter were to get the wrong idea it would prove difficult. However, you couldn't just deny his access into the town.

"S-sure." 

* * *

The way to the town, you and Ferdinand chatted about anything that each of you missed over the five years. From gossip to planned assasinations, you both shared all.

"You know." Ferdiand stopped at a tea stall, examining the leaves carefully with his honey eyes. "Perhaps if you got Hubert a gift it may help?" Ferdinand motioned to the idenical coffee stall beside him, trying to come up with any plan to help you and his valued friend be happy again.

After all, that's the reason he tagged along.

"Hubert? A gift?" You raised a brow, Hubert was never one to do well with surprises or gifts in any spectrum.

"Yeah, I got him coffee beans a while back and he seemed quite pleased!" The noble boasted, moving over to the coffee stand to get a closer look. "These look like good quality beans." 

"Just how close have you two got? You're not replacing me now, are you?" You laughed, paying the middle aged woman her gold for the beans.

"Close enough to notice how he hangs a particular scarf next to his bed."Ferdinand replied smugly, moving over to a stall with armour bolts.

"H-he does?" You blushed, that must be the scarf he bought with you.

"Yep, when I asked about it, he seemed rather bashful to admit you picked it out for him." 

"Tell me more!" You begged, watching Firdinand's smile grow with your inthusiasm.

"Alright, but don't tell him I told you." He gave you a wink, sitting down on a bench below a light. "Each time you would send a letter, Hubert's mood changed the entire day- he keeps them all in the top draw of his desk if I remember."

Your eyes sparkled at the thought, "And?"

"One time, we went shopping just like this. I belive this was last year actually, a few weeks before your birthday; the man was going insane trying to find something to send you. Each item he picked out was deemed perfect in my eyes, but in his it was either too cheap for you or just simply not good enough." Ferdinand laughed at the fond memory.

"He really does adore you, ___. You're like his world, and I never thought that was possible." 

----------------------

C U T E.

Ferdinand is a good pal, good pal.

FHQ- Uh, he don't say much in this one.