Chapter eight: Alone together.

Hubert's Diary.

A week-or more has passed. Each day Lady Edelgard asks me to talk with the Crown Princess or perhaps Ferdinand but I refuse out of my own stupid pride. ___ seems to be growing more with other students and I can feel my chances of opening Pandora's box decreasing. That, and my chance to make such a powerful ally is vanishing into thin air. She could be an asset for the Empire if deemed trustworthy by her highness.

I can't help but look at her. She never seems to be frowning, not unless she is confused with a task given during class. Of course, Henry is always there to aid her, myself and Henry have very similar values; I am beginning to respect him more. The wit has also helped me come to the realisation that I will never be 'friends' with ___. She is in the same position as Lady Edelgard, a person I will never be able to call my friend and that I'm to just respect in awe from afar.

Don't get me wrong, Lady Edelgard and Lady ___ are two very different people, my liege being superior indefinitely...But the Crown Princess seems much farther from the crown. Ruling a Kingdom is not an upcoming event.

Lady ___ is more like me. Sarcastic, powerful and has a secret deep interest in potions and magic. I know it's ridiculous for me to compare myself to one who will be ruling the Kingdom supposedly twenty years ahead of Fodlan..But perhaps- in a different world, where I was not born into the shadows of house Vestra, I could be in Henry's place. Protecting my best friend from all harm.

~

Hubert sighed, closing the note book he purchased last year and shovelling it into the bottom draw to his left. This was the only way for him to let out his emotions, he didn't even know what he was feeling, just that he was feeling something. Perhaps jealousy of Henry. That was one possibility he considered.

By now the sun had gone down, most of his jobs had been completed and since tomorrow would be a Saturday he had time to finish them all. For once, Hubert found himself with nothing to do. It was too early to sleep and Lady Edelgard was in the Empire. A task she said she must do 'without him'. His green eyes wondered, landing on the doors to his right. Many students would be in the near towns or in their rooms with friends; a luxury Hubert has never had.

"Damn it all." he groaned to himself. A thing he did often, actually. Grabbing a long, black coat and a matching scarf he left in his own clothes. Not the usual uniform or armour you'd frequently catch him in.

* * *

It was snowing, the coat Hubert wrapped himself in had no hood so white droplets of snow got caught in his shining black hair. He removed his gaze from the sky, to a crouched silhouette staring into the depths of the fish pond. The individual was also out of uniform, a shorter black coat was on them, unlike his own this person had a hood. The black winter tights with familiar heeled boots showed they had style even in the freezing cold.

Knowing who it was, Hubert went to turn back. There was no way he could get anywhere without the Crown Princess noticing him. On the other hand, she was finally alone and it was slightly worrying on why that reason came to be. Sooner or later Hubert had been hovering there for a small while; just looking at you with his hands buried in his pockets for warmth.

Well that's until you felt his eyes on you...or at least you felt someone's eyes on you. They say snow makes everything romantic, and it would have been for you if you weren't getting the cold shoulder for the past week or so. Locking eyes with the frozen man you breathed in, the anticipation of being ignored again was building in your chest.

"Why..are you out here like this?" Hubert's low voice wasn't harsh, nor was it filled with venom as usual. Words have amazing effects on people but you assumed your heart beating this fast was not right at all.

"I'm.." you paused, looking down at the snow in the swift realisation that the reason was highly idiotic. If it weren't Hubert asking-you'd tell them straight up, his opinion on you for some reason mattered.

"You're?" He took a couple of steps towards you, the snow crunching under the pressure of his finely crafted leather boots. 

"I'm locked out of my room." you sighed, getting the confidence to peer into them deep apple green eyes again. Hubert was at a loss for words, how does he respond to that? Bringing up the locations of Henry would be plain stupid as they both knew 'Friday night' was 'date night'.

"Would you like to accompany me into town?" The words stunned the pair of you. They just slipped out and Hubert was now mentally panicking on how thoughtless he was.

"Ah..sure." A smile was sent either way, Hubert's being one of relief and yours being one of slight gratitude.

Getting yourself up off the cold concrete, a swift numbness flowed down your left leg. Causing a slight sway and stumble from what would have been a graceful standing.

"Dead leg." you admitted; biting your lip.

"We shall walk it off." Disregarding the carriage he was planning on taking, Hubert pulled a 'bold' move and held out one of his buried arms for you to link with...support reasons only of course.

Many thoughts went through your mind as you grasped it lightly, slotting your much smaller arm into the crook of his. Only now noticing how petite you were compared to him.

Your mind'What if people see?'  'What if this is some sort of date?'  'What if I think it's a date but he doesn't...Friday night is date night, after all!'

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'll continue this in a pt2 as it's already so long. I am trying to get two chapters out in 1-2 days so I don't forget.