Chapter Thirty-One

A groan leaves Cassie's mouth as she turns around in her bed. Sitting up and stretching she looks at the clock on the wall to see she slept in. Late. Really Late. She didn't have work early that day, but still, she wasted half her day at home asleep. 

 "Bloody hell. How did I sleep in so late?" She mutters as she pulls herself lazily out of the bed, and not even bothering to change. 

"Stevie, I was wondering- Oh you're not here." She says as she walks into the kitchen. Walking around the kitchen to find something to eat, she finds a note written in lovely neet handwriting. It was obviously Steve's. He has lovely handwriting, probably the best out of the trio, seeming that he is an artist.

"I don't know how long you will be asleep until I get back, but I'm going to get food shopping. Steve." Cassie reads to herself, when finishing she rolls her eyes. And speaking of the devil, the front door opens and Steve walks in. Nothing in his hands. 

"Oh Cass, you're awake. Well good-" Steve stutters as he looks at cassie who has her hands folded over her chest and leaning against the counter. 

"Lovely shopping you have with you, What did you get? 4F? Yes? Sound's delicious." The redhead says pissed at the blond but also a hit of tease in her voice. 

"What? What are you talking about?" Steve stutters again, and Cassie rolls her eye at him. 

"What do you think I am? Stupid? Come on, first of all, you could've used a better excuse other than getting shopping. Cause we got shopping yesterday. Second. If you magically did go shopping, where's the food? And three. You've been trying to enlist since we got that money a couple of weeks ago." She scolds him, also saying in a duh tone. 

" Look I'm sorry but-" Steve starts but cassie cuts him off 

"Where  are you from now?" She holds her hand out for him to pass over the enlistment form. He sighs loudly at his defeat and reaches into his pocket to take out a slip of paper and hand it over to his mad friend. "Wow, is that how desperate you are? Alabama? Really? Why So far?" She Laughs, shocked at what she read. 

"Okay, Really? Why are you making fun of me?" The small blond whines, 

"I'm not." She Laughs, to which the blond gives her a 'really' face, "I'm not. Look, I already lost my boyfriend, I can't lose my best friend and roommate too." She says with a serious face now, 

"You didn't lose Buck, and you're not going to. And neither with me. The wars going to end and the trio will live together till we get old. Till the end of the line, Cassie." Steve says trying to reassure her, 

"But you don't know that, Steve. For all we know, I don't know. We could all be separated, and live a sad and miserable life!" She shouts at him, tears gather at the bottom of her green eyes. 

"That's not going to happen. And you don't know that cause you can't tell the future." Steve says tranquil, while Cassie has tears coming down her cheeks.

"Well, there's definitely something wrong with me cause-" The two get cut short by a small quiet knock at the door, the two share a confused glance after looking at the door. 

"Are you expecting someone?" Steve asks Cassie, and she shakes her head at him. Drying her tears, Cassie walks to the door slowly and looks through the peephole to see... nobody. Her brows pull together, as she opens the door to see nobody. Just before she closes the door she notices a small envelope with her name on the front of it, just sitting on the doorstep.

bending down to pick it up, she looks around again but nobody is there. Shaking her head she closes the door looking down at the envelope. But reading her name again she doesn't recognise the handwriting. "What is it?" Steve says as she opens the letter beside him, in the kitchen.