Chapter 5

Jason Dimitri

I watched as my sister, Arabella, Ari for short, jumped off the tree and walked into the cell block. I decided to wait back a bit, just in case she had an issue and was cornered, and I could back her up. After a minute or so, I walked in. There was something about the cells that smelled enticing. It was a smell I had never smelt before, it was citrus, with a woodsy, incense-like aroma; the best smell I had ever smelt before. It overpowered the iron-y scent of blood, the acidic scent of vomit, and all the other nasty smells you would expect to lurk in a cell block. Why would there be such an amazing smell in here though?

I followed the smell, and the sound of my sister calling out the princess's name, till I reached the cell opposite the cowering 8-year old girl. In there was a man. He looked massive, well-built, like he would tower above me, even though I was 6ft1. He was badly injured though, completely unconscious. It looks like he had been beaten, whipped, cut, choked, you name it, it probably happened to him. He must also have a load of wolfsbane in his system to stop the healing process.

He was also my mate. I needed to get him out of here.

My sister spoke something to me, I just nodded in response. Eventually she dragged me out of my trance, telling me we had to save all of these people. I froze all of the locks, and she punched them, to open them up.

I ran over to my mate, and held him in my arms, cradling his face in my lap as I stroked away some of his hair that had become stuck to his head by dried blood. I was close to crying right there, breaking down and crying, but I knew I had to be strong, for the both of us.

My sister shouted at me to follow her, saying we didn't have much time, so I picked him up and carried him out of the cells, following the rest of the crowd.

"Right, who cannot shift or run?" my sister asked the crowd. Those who held their hands up, she put on other prisoner's backs, who could shift and run, and they all ran into the distance. "Jace, I need you to shift. I'll secure your mate on your back, okay?"

I nodded, numbly, and shifted into my wolf. Ari did as she said she would, and soon I was running.

We ran, we ran so fucking fast. My sister ran besides me, with a little girl and a woman on her back. We had overtaken the rest of the prisoners we had saved, who were all slightly weak and slightly slow. Eventually we passed where the fighting was, and as soon as Damien saw us, he turned and ran with us, with his miniature rogue army following him.

Once we were a safe enough distance from the pack borders, we all stopped. I gently put my mate on the floor, and my wolf curled around him, protectively, licking some of his wounds. I was mostly tuned out of the large conversation that was being held behind me. It was something about the prisoners, and if they wanted to join the rogue pack, they were welcome too, telling them exactly where to go and who to go with.

Eventually it was just us. We were pretty far away from the blue crescent territory now, so we started searching for a place to sleep.

The cave we found to sleep in for the night was cold, damp, and wet, but it was safe. I shifted back into my human form and got changed from the clothes out of the bag that we picked up on the way, hidden before we started our mission into the blue crescent pack. As well as the three 'royals' we had saved, one being my mate, two others decided to stay with us. We found out their names were Haley and Pearce.

"I have to say, that was a lot of fun," Damien stated, taking a seat on the floor.

"Yeah, it actually was," agreed Ari, sitting next to him.

"Start a fire Ari," I asked. She nodded her head towards me and left the cave, only to come back with a load of logs. We arranged some stones to make a fire pit, and stuck the logs inside the firepit. Ari pointed her hand at the logs and they set alight. I was used to it, so was Damien, but the others, they were visibly shocked.

"So the rumours are right?" asked the man, looking at both of us in awe.

"Yup," I answered for both of us.

I positioned my mate so that he was near the fire, and could warm up. I lay his head in my lap and ran my hands through his matted, bloodstained hair. Eventually people's teeth stopped chattering, and we started to do introductions. The lady in waiting to the princess was called Jessica, my mate was called Logan.

I traced his features with my finger, he was very handsome, and I couldn't wait until I could see whatever colour his eyes were, or his smile, or to hear his voice. The sparks I could feel were magical, I had no idea this was what having a mate was like; Ari and I were never really taught about mates, not from anyone. I do know I had the overwhelming urge to protect him, with my life if necessary, and I wanted to touch him at all times, be with him at all times, and I never wanted to let him go. I also had this weird fascination with putting my head in his neck.

As I was resting my head in his neck, for some reason my canines started elongating, and there was this force that was pushing me into biting his neck. What the fuck? I thought that was super weird – didn't only vampires want to bite eachother's necks? I was a werewolf though, why would I want to bite his neck? I was confused, but I didn't want to ask anyone else in case they thought I was crazy, so I decided to avoid his neck for the rest of the evening.

I tuned back into the conversation everyone was having around the fire. The guy that we had saved is called Pearce and his mate is called Haley. They are mates, after finding eachother in the dungeons. Haley is one of the girls that was raped by the ex-gamma of the blue crescent pack, and she was jailed for her confession, and getting the guy murdered. Pearce had been in there for years and years because he had been dating the current Luna of the blue crescent pack before they even reached the age of being able to find your mate (18), and the Alpha was pissed. That is why they didn't realise they were mates before, because Pearce was basically locked up from 18, and she was only thrown in there recently.

Madison is a sweetheart, but she was very nervous, and very cold. I watched as Jessica cuddled up to her, and tried to keep her warm by the fire. There was clearly a lot of love and affection there. I wished that my mate was awake, so I could get to know him... But then what if he hates me, despises me, because of who I am, because of my name, because of my parents?

Once almost everyone was asleep, I nudged my sister, and gestured for her to go outside the cave with me. We sat on the ledge, our feet dangling.

"What if he doesn't want to be with me, because I'm a Dimitri?" I asked her.

"Then he's an idiot. If he can't look past your name and see you for who you truly are; someone who would do anything for people they loved, who loves unconditionally, is funny, clever, a bit of a badass, would kill for his sister, then he doesn't deserve to know you. Look, I know nothing about mates, and I don't particularly want to, but watching the way Pearce is with Haley, even after everything they have gone through, I believe he would look past the name, and want to know you."

"And what if he doesn't?"

"Like I said, he is an idiot, and you can do better," she shrugged her shoudlers.

I stayed awake a little bit longer, feeling the urge to watch over my mate. Eventually I drifted off myself too.

Everyone pretty much fell asleep next to the fire, trying to wait out the cold night.