Chapter 18

Arabella Dimitri

I think I really annoyed him this time. Good. Mission accomplished. My plan is to annoy him until he no longer wants to be my mate anymore, and we go our separate ways, and I go back into my beautiful cave, and he rules here with that pretty blonde assistant by his side.

It had been three days, and we hadn't said a word to eachother. The plan was not going well; in order to annoy him, I needed to actually speak to him. Although... I guess it would also work if he just lost interest in me because we weren't speaking... I could also incorporate that into the plan.

Recently I have been trying to irritate him by being super messy, super loud, and super annoying, but I don't think it's working, and I think I look more like a child throwing a fit, trying to get his attention.

It is the fourth day now, and I have decided that I will no longer be carrying out this plan, or any plan for that matter, and I will be writing him out of my narrative. I decided to get up early this morning, earlier than him, as I could still hear him snoring. I got changed into some gym gear and headed out of one of the side doors, through one of the kitchens, that led out into the vegetable patch, that had been covered in some kind of fabric to stop the plants from dying in the winter.

The air was crisp, and luckily the wind was calm, a rarity for the season. The ground was crunchy due to the snow, and in some places a little slippy where the snow had frozen into ice. For that specific reason I had put on my shoes that had spikes in them, so I would not be falling all over the place. I didn't really know the area that well, but it was high time that I went out on a run, so that's exactly what I was doing.

I decided to run in human form today, as it was extremely important to me to train in human form as well as wolf form. Another reason for that was because I was unsure whether everyone actually knew I was a guest, and if they saw my wolf and didn't realise I was actually allowed here, I feared it would be kill on sight. Of course, I would be able to fight them back, but killing a few pack members wasn't a great impression to leave, even if I was planning on going back to my cavern home sometime soon.

At some point on my run I heard some alarm bells ringing from the castle, and I heard the unmistakable sound of paws hitting the ground, running towards the woods in all sorts of directions. Not knowing what the cause was, and not wanting to get trampled on by a load of wolves, I climbed up one of the evergeen trees and perched up there, watching from afar as a number of Night Warriors and other guards ran in all sorts of directions.

It felt like they were looking for something rather than fighting something off, as I heard no howls to declare battle. Only then did it occur to me they were perhaps looking for me, but then I decided that my ego wasn't that big, and surely it would be obvious I had gone out for a run, I mean... one of my many pairs of running shoes were gone, that's sign enough, right?

Deciding that just in case the current issue was because of me, I mindlinked my brother, Jason. Of course, I got no reply because he was most definitely sleeping. I think he sleeps more than me, and that is saying something. Sleep is important, I didn't get this gorgeous by staying awake all night...

Plan A was a mess, so Plan B was to descend the tree and head back into the castle, so that's exactly what I did. I saw literally no one on the way, and headed back to my room, noticing the lump on the sofa, that is my mate, was no longer there. Shrugging my shoulders, I headed into the shower, and got changed for the day.

Feeling peckish, I headed down to the main kitchen, which seemed awfully quiet too, especially for this time of day. Is this some kind of prank? I mean, where the hell is everyone? There must've been some kind of meeting I wasn't told about, probably because Nicholas hasn't spoken a word to me and I have kind of been holed up in our room for way too long. Remind me to make some friends tomorrow.

I grabbed some food from the kitchen and ate it in one of the small dining rooms, where I sat at the head of the table; Nicholas wasn't there to tell me off. At some point during the meal a maid came in holding something, I don't even know what. She saw me and dropped it, like she had seen a ghost or something. I smiled at her, my mouth full of food, and she just ran out of the room.

That was weird.

I shrugged my shoulders and continued eating.

"Arabella?" Logan said, shocked, running into the room, followed by like four Night Warriors. "What are you doing here?"

"Eating?" I spoke with my mouth full, holding up my sausage sandwich.

"I mean, you ran away?"

"I went on a run, yeah."

"We smelt your scent leaving the castle and winding through the woods," he said.

"Yeah, I was on a run."

"I've never seen you run before."

"You've known me for like 5 days."

"Arabella!" Nicholas panted as he ran into the room. He didn't stop running there, no, he ran straight towards me, pulling me up into his arms, inhaling my scent. I still had my sandwich in my mouth. Nicholas sat back on the chair I was sitting on, he pulled me onto his lap and secured his arms around my waist, like a seatbelt, whilst his head stayed buried in my neck. "I thought you ran," he finally said.

"I did run."

"You ran?!"

"I went on a run, yeah."

"So you didn't try and leave me?" he asked.

"Not like you'd notice if I did," I mumbled.

"Stop ruining the moment," he grumbled, burying his head back into my neck.

"Can I move?" I asked.

"No, I need to calm myself down," he said. I sighed and finished off my sandwich, trying to ignore the annoying tingles I felt every time his thumb rubbed my waist, or the shivers that his warm breath on my neck made me feel. "Next time, tell me."

"I didn't want to wake yo-"

"Tell me." That was final, I guess.

The next morning, I decided to run, again, because I used to run every morning, more or less, before I found a mate, no reason it should finish after. Nicholas wanted me to tell him though, so tell him I would. One of the maids had fetched me a megaphone from the town, I thanked her profusely, she just looked scared of me, and what I would do with it. I walked right up to my peacefully sleeping mate, put the megaphone right next to his ear, and yelled, "I'M GOING ON A RUN!"

If my megaphone didn't wake up half of the castle, his growl did. I definitely ran that morning, and most of it was away from my psycho mate.

Eventually I was captured, much to my annoyance. "You just have weirdly long legs, like a stick insect," I mumbled, kicking some rocks as I walked back to the castle with him.

"Take that back, I have legs perfectly in proportion to my body!" he said, offended, "And I have way more muscle." He was now flexing his arm muscles in front of my face.

"Who are you trying to impress?" I sighed.

"You, obviously."

"You're doing a very bad job of it."

"I can see that little smile on your face, I'm doing a great job," he wiggled his finger towards my face, pointing at my mouth, and invisible smile.

"Shut up," I laughed at his childish behaviour, pushing his hand away from me.