Chapter 19

Arabella Dimitri

Today was the day I was going to make friends. It was my mission.

After Nicholas dropped me back in my room, we both took showers, separately, and got ready for the day. I felt good about today. I needed food first.

Now that the whole kingdom wasn't on high alert thinking their Queen had gone missing, the castle was bustling with people. One of the chefs very kindly made me some breakfast, and I ate it in one of the larger dining rooms, that was filled with all sorts of people eating food.

I looked over and spotted Jessica, the lady in waiting to Madison, so I went over and sat next to her. She smiled brightly at me. "Luna, good morning!"

"Call me Arabella, I haven't decided if I'm to be Luna or not yet," I admitted.

"Don't let Nicholas hear you say that, he's already planning the wedding."

"I hope you're joking," I laughed. I really did hope she was joking. I was 23, twenty-three, twenty-bloody-three. There was no way I was getting married anytime soon. I had a plan, a life plan, and kids weren't even on it at this point, let alone marriage. "Where's Jason?" I asked Logan, noticing his absence.

"Sleeping," he shrugged.

"Of course he is," then I turned back to Jessica, "so... plans for the day?"

"Well, looking after Princess Madison and making sure she is all sorted with her tutors for the morning, we will be going horse riding in the afternoon, then this evening will probably be a quiet one," she answered.

"Can I come horse riding with you?" I asked.

"Of course, you needn't ask, I'm sure the Princess would be delighted. Would you like to go to the market this morning?"

"I'd love to," I smiled at her.

Once Jessica has sorted Madison out, and left her in the capable hands of one of her various tutors, we headed into the town. Of course, due to the freezing weather and cold winds, we were both wrapped up warm, in various furs and wools. As per Nicholas' request, his Deltas, Chase and Obi came with us, both Night Warriors themselves.

The town was filled with people, surprising considering the harsh weather conditions. I was glad to be hiding behind a hood at this very moment in time, as I was hoping not to get a million weird looks today, although everyone could recognise Chase and Obi, and not just because they were weirdly tall and towered over everyone.

The market was selling a range of things, from various types of foods, to herbs, different brews and potions, things people claimed to be magic, things that probably were magic, knickknacks and jewellery, as well as furniture and other objects.

I took my time going through the different stalls. It felt a bit like I had stepped into a different century slightly, or perhaps a different world. It was very different from the town Jason and I would go to for our shopping, which had large supermarkets and different high street shops.

There were a couple of pieces of jewellery that took my eye, in particular a pretty set of pearl earrings, a necklace and a bracelet. "You should get that for the Wolf Moon Ball this Friday," Jessica said.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Each full moon of each month has a certain name, named by the Algonquian tribes of Native Americans. January is the Wolf Moon," answered Jessica.

"Harvest Moon is September," Chase stated, from behind me.

"And December is the Cold Moon, as the cold of the winter sets in," explained Obi.

"Our pack has some type of celebration for each of the full moons. The Wolf Moon celebration is a ball, and we invite other packs to come along. It'll be held in the grand ballroom of the castle," continued Jessica.

"I'll need a dress too then..."

"Come, I know the perfect place," Jessica pulled me to one of the boutiques, that was actually inside a building, on the side of the market.

We spent the rest of the morning trying on dresses. Chase and Obi didn't actually look bored out of their mind, like I expected them too, but they helped Jessica critiquing each one. They were actually getting really into it as well, saying 'they knew what their alpha liked', whatever that means, because I was not dressing for his approval.

I settled on one that I though was stunning, as did everyone else, and we paid for it, on Nicholas' credit card, and left.

After lunch, it was time to go horse riding. I headed to the stables, only to be barged down by the one and only Princess Madison. "Belly!" she exclaimed, hugging me tightly. I picked her up and held her, moving some of the hair out of her face and flattening some of the crazy strands down.

"How is my favourite princess doing?" I asked.

"So good!" she squealed.

"Are you excited to ride the horses?"

"So excited!" She was absolutely adorable. I squeezed her chubby little cheeks, and carried her on my back to the stables, where Jessica was waiting, along with Chase and Obi again.

One of the horsemen had saddled me up one of the many horses, and helped me up onto it. I had the feeling he was flirting. I believe the death glares the Chase and Obi were now sending his way may have confirmed my theory. I didn't mind though, I was flattered.

Soon we were off, trotting through the gorgeous woods, across the snow-covered fields, besides frozen lakes and iced over waterfalls. It truly was a sight to behold. The sky was completely clear today though, letting the Sun shine down on us, lighting up the snow so that is sparkled and shone. The fresh powdered snow truly looked like icing sugar, mixed with some diamonds. For a moment there I closed my eyes, breathed in the fresh air, and felt like I really was at one with nature.

One of the things I was worried about by coming to such a bustling and busy Kingdom was that I would lose touch with nature, yet here I didn't feel like I had lost it at all. Slowly I started to feel my walls and excuses for going back to my cave crumbling away, ever so slowly, and I wasn't sure if I was ready for that. Not just because I was way too stubborn, but also because I wasn't ready to be vulnerable. Of course, I am ignoring all the other times I have been vulnerable.

That evening, when it seemed like the whole Kingdom was tucked up in bed, I sat on the balcony of my room, well, I guess mine and Nicholas' room, and I looked out over the various buildings, the forest behind it, the mountains behind those, and the sky above that. It was peaceful, and quiet. I closed my eyes for a moment, and took a deep breath of the cool night air in. I was content with life at that moment.

"Hey, what're you doing out here?" I heard Nicholas' husky voice say. I turned to look at him. He was topless, only wearing chequered pyjama shorts, the moonlight reflecting off his rippling muscles, and lighting up his eyes.

"Just at peace," I answered, moving my head back to facing forward, and shutting my eyes again.

"May I join?" he asked. I grunted in approval, and listened to his footsteps as they got closer, before stopping, as he took a seat. After a few minutes he opened his mouth again, "this is very peaceful."

"It's only peaceful if you don't talk," I scolded him.

He stayed quiet for another couple of minutes, "I've never sat out here like this before."

"You should do it more often."

"With you for company, I'd do anything." I smiled slightly at that, only for a second or two. Then, after a few more minutes, I got up and headed inside, crashing into the bed. I heard him walk in and shut the balcony doors behind him, then a rustle of blankets before he finally settled on the sofa.

"Goodnight," I said, half asleep already.

"Goodnight," he replied.