Chapter 38

Magnus has been avoiding me. Normally I would be happy about about this, but truth be told, I miss his company. Even his arrogant remarks are better than silence.

I have been locked up in my room for most of the day. I am sure it has something to do with my powers returning. He knows, I'm not a very good liar. Probably by now he has ran to my father and told all. I'll become more controlled, or worse, tied up. I reach out my hand and focus. I envisage the elements coming together to create fire, I snap my fingers and a small flame appears, hovering above my hand. Even now it shocks me that I can do it.

I could just burn the place down. They say Enki can't be killed, but do they burn? What if there were humans here? Could I really kill innocent people? What qualifies as innocent? Did they know that I was being held against my will? Did they think they had purpose as well?

I could just set Magnus alight...

No. I couldn't.

Even the thought makes me shiver. I could throw him out of the way, break the door down. Maybe Magnus also has his power? Then I would be destroyed and no further forward. My father would never let me leave. He'd risk all, has risked all to get his child, even my life. He has hunted my mother for years.

I wonder how she managed to sever the connection? It's my fault that I brought my father near to her, thankfully he only wanted me. Christophe... I hadn't forgotten the way his face changed after the sharp knife protruded out of his beautiful torso. I never would. One day there would be a reckoning, a rebalance.

He was alive, that I knew. At least I had faith I would know if he was no longer alive. He could only die with an Enki sword to the heart. Did my father possess such a sword? He was at Hornwood. He surely would have discovered it. The ultimate weapon.

There is a sound outside of the door and it swings open. The air leaves the room when my father walks in, as if even it was scared of him. Behind him stands Magnus, he does not look at me with the same arrogant smile, he doesn't look at all.

"Its time."

"Time for what?" I stand up and try and create space between us. I begin to feel panic rise to my throat.

"Time for what?" It comes out as a squeak.

He doesn't say anything, he simple signals at Magnus, who cautiously walks towards me. I put out my hands  in defense of what may come next. I would use my power if I needed to.

Suddenly Magnus and my father attack me from either side. A cloth covering my mouth dulls my senses and my eyes feel heavy. I send out as much power as I can but it only sends Magnus flying, my father able to, barely, withstand the storm.

"I told you she had her powers!"

My eyes close.

"Its not possible Magnus..."

Then I pass out.