Chapter 39

My eyes slowly flutter awake, my eyelids so heavy that I can barely keep them open. I see through slitted eyes that there is some kind of drip to the side of me. I lift my arm and feel the tug on my hand. It feels like I have the flu. My whole body is heavy like I am weighed down by bricks. I feel the panic in my head but I can't quite find the strength to do anything about it. I try to pull the tube out from the back of my hand but I cannot lift anything more than and inch.

"What use is she to me Tharn if she is drugged so heavily?"

"A precaution, she shouldn't have been able to use her powers."

"She scares you doesn't she?"

I hear a swift thud and the clattering of metals. My eyes slowly close and I barely care about the drama that is unfolding in front of me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I open my eyes and I see Christophe laying before me in bed. He reaches out and strokes my face, planting a kiss on my lips. I pull him towards me, wrapping my leg over his.

"I miss you, I need you".

Christophe smiles, his eyes lighting the room.

"Not yet my love. You have to remember something".

I huff, annoyed that he is ruining this perfect moment.

"You are stronger than you think you are".

This seems vaguely familiar but I can't quite place why. I reach for Christophe and kiss him deeply.

He whispers into my lips.

"You are stronger than you think you are. The Mother is you, and you are the mother".

These cryptic messages were starting to really bug me.

"I don't understand Christophe. I dont want to, I want you. I want this perfect moment, alone".

As I say the words my father appears, his thick leather coat releasing dark clouds, of what? Smoke? I choke on it. I look back at Christophe but he was vanished. What is going on?

From behind my father my mother walks past him and sits on the edge of the bed. She doesn't look at me, but at him.

"She is stronger than you think she is. The mother is her and she is the mother".

The black smoke twirls and pushes its way back into my father who chokes on his own attack.

I reach out for my mother as she turns towards me.

"The Mother is you. Now wake up!"