Chapter 56

I felt different. Full up, whole. As I lay in bed and watched Christophe, naked, standing out on the balcony, the moon highlighting his features, I feel like I could not love anyone more than him. Reflecting on the journey I have been on since I first arrived here all that time ago, I am in awe of how amazing life could be. I now knew how full life could be. I didn't want to give it all up for no one. A knot of nerves pulled in my stomach thinking about The Mother and her plans. I didn't want everything to end. I wanted to live in this bubble forever. Christophe looks back at me, but his look does not match mine. He looks pained, and I suddenly feel insecure.

"Nothing has changed. I'm still going to lose you. Now I lose more. I can not be without Rose."

I sigh. I wished my feeling of bliss could have lasted for a little longer.

"Christophe, come to me. I don't want this moment to end."

A flirty smile crosses his face as an eyebrow raises. His smile was consuming. He paces towards me like a panther, and I wait in anticipation.

A deep roar distracts me, and Christophe hesitates. The roar gets louder and closer. I feel a familiar pull of energy, and I move to the balcony. Christophe follows behind me, his arm wraps around my naked waist protectively.

I look down, and I see the biggest bear, fur thick and dirty blonde. I am so fascinated by the creature. It almost feels familiar. The fur colour reminds me of... Magnus.

I look at Christophe, but he has already worked it out. He may have even known he had an animal. The bear roars again as if in pain and then another more aggressive. I hold tighter to Christophe, but he stiffens.

"It's Magnus, isn't it? Is he talking with you?"

"Sort of. He is speaking in old norse for the most part. He knows that we have made love and isn't happy."

"It isn't any of his business."

Another roar, deeper this time, as if in disagreement.

"I'll go to him and tell him to calm down."

Christophe pulls me back.

"Not a good idea, besides its not you he wants."

I look at Christophe, momentarily distracted by how he looks at me with complete love.

"This is stupid. I chose you. I only ever wanted you. He does not own me."

"He believes you are. The marriage ceremony..."

"I didn't ask for that."

"Regardless. You are bonded. That will never change. Can you not feel his wrath, his pain? It's rolling off him so even a human could feel it."

I look down at him. Searching his eyes. I hadn't realised I had blocked him out. Being with Christophe, experiencing his love, it drowned all the noise. Now that I locked eyes with Magnus, all the hurt and pain overwhelmed me, and my knees weakened. The only thing keeping me up was Christophe's arm. The pain was so raw and base. A feeling I have never felt. It felt like betrayal. I couldn't help but feel guilty despite Magnus having created this mess himself. I did care for him. Just not enough.

"I will go to him. Fighting you will not achieve anything and will only hurt us all."

Christophe goes to protest and then stops.

"I trust your judgement, Rose. You are stronger than all of us. I'll be here, though. If he touches you, he will scream for the dagger."

I plant a soft kiss on his lips and ignore the growl below. I go to jump, and Christophe pulls me back.