Christophe's Diary

After weeks of ignoring us, Tharn summoned us to meet him in his office. Rose's condition hadn't improved. She was, however, still alive, but only by the power of machines. I knew Tharn would have visited her to do tests, but it was never when either Calista or myself were there. The fact that he called us to his office must mean something.

When we met Tharn, he looked unlike himself. Enki don't need sleep like humans do, but for some reason, he looked like he hadn't slept in days. From the moment we walked in, I knew he was close to exploding. I looked at Calista and tried to signal to her a warning. The look she gave me back was one of knowing.

He raged at us, demanding that we tell him what happened to Magnus and how Rose lost her powers. When calmed, I let Calista do the talking. She had a connection with him, although weakened, trumped any I had.

So she told him what she knew.

At first, he didn't believe her. No, Enki could be killed by another's hands. He raged that we must have forced him into taking his life.

The blade had been given to me by Jean Luc. As far as I was aware, it was the only one in existence. It had been hidden in Hornwood where no one but I knew where it was. No one would ever know. I explained to Tharn that this, being, had a blade of their own. It killed Magnus, and it killed the Enki in Rose.

Slowly, he started to listen to us. He had questions, the same as ours.

Was the person Enki?
Was it the Mother?
Why didn't it kill Rose just to remove her Enki side?
Is there more of them?

I asked Tharn if he knew, and he just shook his head. In all his life, he has never heard of such a thing. The Mother was the creator of all.

Then something really simple came to me. The humans worshipped God's that were not real. We knew that the Mother created the Earth and everything in it. But what if all we knew was wrong. That there were other powers on Earth.

At that moment, we were silent for some time. The reality of what I had said sinking in. We thought we were superior beings on Earth. Untouchable. Special. Unique. Now we had to face the possibility that there was some other power and it wanted us dead.

I remember Rose revealing that she had the Mother in her, controlling her, wanting to cause the Enki harm. Was this part of the plan? But why remove herself from Rose.

After that meeting, Tharn regularly met with us. I could see that it was weighing Calista down. She had to deny the connection she had with him for all those years. Calista refused any invite to meet him alone.

The main topic of conversation was mostly about Rose. The more the weeks went by, the more anxious I became. The more I started to lose hope that I would ever speak with her again. What was more shocking was the effect it had on Tharn, who seemed more and more broke as the days went on. He had exhausted everything he knew.

Eventually, he told us that he was going to turn off the enemy fields that were blocking our powers. It was a move that I never saw happening. The two of us, though we couldn't kill Tharn, could certainly overpower him if we tried. The fact that he was taking this risk meant only that I may have to face losing Rose forever.

We all stood round Rose as the switch was flipped. It felt good to feel my powers return. It felt like the first time I was transitioned. Tharn grabbed Calista's hand as the full power of their connection returned.

Rose. She never moved. The nurse turned off all the machines, keeping her breathing. The very real human feeling churned my stomach and made my heart beat faster. The only machine attached to her was the heart monitor, which eventually showed her heart slow and then stop beating. I looked to Tharn, pleading for him to turn everything back on, but he just shook his head.

My heart splintered into a thousand peaces, and I fell to the floor. Calista turned her face into Tharn.