Chapter 49

Chaeyoung POV

Today is the big day. Finally.. The bandages were finally coming off. I leaned back at the hospital bed waiting for Dr. Danial. The air in the room was so thick with anticipation it could be cut with knife. Not like before, mom and dad insisted on coming. So, this time they all were here. Aunt Jeongyeon was the one driving me, so he was here by default. While, aunt Mina shift just ended, so she came to check on me too. Jeongin gave me a rock from his exclusive collection for good luck. I think he called is obsidian tock or something like that. And Sana, the girl of my dream. Literally.

As much as I wanted to see her, it troubled me deeply if this surgery followed by all the previous one. I didn't want to dwell in my thoughts a lot. Specially the ones where this didn't work out and ended with a massive disappointment for me, her and all the other people in this room. I tried to force my brain to think of something else but no matter what idea sparked in there I'm always back to square one. Shortly afterwards, Dr. Danial walked in and I felt my chest clinching tightly.

"Good afternoon.. oh!" He sounded startled for a moment.

"I see, we have the entire family here." He said.

A stir chuckles and giggles spread around easing the tension a bit but I couldn't join them. I couldn't follow that stream. Too many fails would do that. Desperately, I tried to hold on to the tiniest glimpse of hope and tried to keep my act together. For my sake and for sake of the people around me.

"How are you doing, Chaeyoung?" Dr voice came from beside my bed.

"Good, thank you." I replied, my throat was tight.

"Ready to do this?" He asked.

"Yes." I nodded.

"First, let's put those gloves on." As he spoke there was a low rustle and then a snap.

"This might be a bit uncomfortable." He warn.

His latex covered hands started agonisingly slowly to pull of the tape that held the eyes shields and bandages in place. My heart was pounding loudly in my ears as the tape been pulled off my skin. With great expertise his finger inched under the tape to ease the slight burn as he pealed it away.

"Now, I will do the other side." He told me.

And he started working on the other eye. All in slow motion that pushed me closer to madness by the minute.

"Keep your eyes closed for me." He said.

I did what he told. I couldn't hear a breath in the room. Only the doctor's movement and the roaring rush of blood in my ears.

"I'm going to do a bit of cleaning first. Keep them closed." He instructed.

Then, I felt a cold wet material with a faint smell gently being rubbed over my eyes and where the medical tape held. Followed by something soft that absorbed the dampness from my skin.

"Okay, now try opening your eyes." He said.

This is it. I swallowed hard. Who knew that something as simple as lifting an eyelid could be this difficult. Despite my urgency my eyelids complied slowly and blinked repeatedly. At that moment my mind and heart came to a halt. There was nothing but a froggy haze in front of me. I blinked again. My chest tightened painfully failing to inhale or exhale. Gradually, shades of light and shadows started to fall in place as I took in the vision of the people surrounding me bit by bit. I couldn't breath.

"Mom.." my voice came out gruff.

She immediately broke in tears.

"Oh dear.. oh dear.." That's all she could said.