Chapter 43

Chaeyoung POV

My heart jumped at the mention of her name and I hustled to pick up.

"Sana!" I said.

"I'm sorry.. I'm sorry. I didn't hear my phone." She said the moment she heard my voice.

"I was starting to get worried." I lied.

Well, I was way pass the 'starting'.

"I'm sorry." She apologised again.

But, I noticed she sounded different. Her voice shook like she was on the verge of crying and my heart sank hearing that.

"Is everything alright?" I asked curiously.

"Hmm, well. I-I kinda had a tiny car accident." She said with her voice a bit hesitated.

"Are you alright?" I asked with my chest tightened.

Terror ran through my veins and my heart raced to the point I could hear it in my ears. I rushed through the hall making my way out when my fingers froze on the doorknob. And all of me was suspended in absolute halt.

"I'm fine." I heard she said.

She wasn't. I know.

"Are you hurt?" I asked.

My fingers let go of the doorknob and clench into a tight fist feeling heavy rout of my deficiencies.

"No." She replied short.

"Sana, what happened?" I kept my feelings in check and away from my voice.

"There's a dog ran right in front of my car and I couldn't stop in time. So, I swerved to avoid the dog and one of the tires exploded and I lost control and scratch the car with a light pole and I don't know how to change a tire." She said a bit rushed and panic. A tiny cracked could be heard in her voice.

"Where are you now?" I asked keeping my voice check.

"Hmm, there's a teobokki stall and a pharmacy called A+ and... hmm, Fresh Bake Bakery." She explain herself.

I knew where she was.

"Sana, I want you to wait in your car for a while. Everything will be alright. Trust me." I assuring her.

"Okay. Thank you." She replied.

God! Her voice that moment was killing me. That frightened, a shaking voice nicked my soul in ways I couldn't explain. She didn't even asked me how, what or why. She just poured her faiths in my and left it at that. As soon as she hung up, I started to dial a number I called hundred of times before. Two rings and he picked up.

"Hello?" His voice rose above the sounds in the background. 

"Hey, man. Its me. Listen. I need a favor." I said to him.

"Chaeyoung?" The surprise was clear in his voice, yet he never failed me.

"Name it!" He said.

"Sana is at aunt Kim teobokki stall. She had a car problem, a flat tire-." He interrupted.

"Say no more. I'm on my way." He said as I could hear the keys jiggle.

"And Yugyeom.." Always catching my drift, but that didn't stop me from saying.

"Yes." He replied.

"Hands off my girl." I said.

"She's like a sister to me." He assured without hesitation.

I heard a car rumble before he hung up. Despite everything that had happened between me and Yugyeom, I knew he was the person I could count on situation like these. 'Situation like these'. Those words drowned me and troubled me deeply. The idea of asking for help from someone else regarding my girl was unnerving and agitating. I stalked back and forth being eaten by my thoughts. Grunting, I press my phone roughly.

"Time!" I snapped at no one.

"The time now is 4.57pm." The robotic voice said.

Could time move any slower? I went back to pacing. Another twenty minutes passed before I heard car pulling up front. I dashed outside to meet them. Never was I happier to have the air being knocked out of my lungs as I did now when Sana ran into my arms. I locked my arms around her shaking body instantly and kept her there. My chin rested on her shoulder as she hid in crook of my neck. I don't think I will be letting her go any time soon.

"I'm sorry that I'm late." She said even her voice sounded rattled.

"Shhh... I'm just glad that you're okay." I said.

Calming my nerves with the sweetness of her perfume and that she was in arms. Sana's arms tightened around me for a moment before she let go.

"I will go wash up." She said.

"Thank you, Yugyeom." Then her voice direction.

"Don't mention it." He answered casually.

Sana patted my arm before stepping away leaving us to talk.

"How bad was it?" I was counting on his judgement of the accident since I couldn't.

"Just a scratch and a dent." He said.

Then, he offered. His words hesitant like he wasn't sure if I would hear him or not.

"I know a guy who can fix the dent and redo the paint job. Its will be as good as new." He said.

"That would be good, thanks." I nodded.

Silence followed for a long moment until Yugyeom broke it. Regret clear in his voice.

"Chae, listen. I never intended to-." I cut him off.

"Ancient history, man. Gone and forgotten." I rubbed the tension on my neck.

"I already knew what I was getting myself into when I dated Momo." A humourless laugh erupted.

"I was an idiot to think that she would change." I said.

"Even though, I shouldn't have done what I did. Drunk, drugged or whatever. I had no excuse. Although, you already warn me about that I keep doing. I ignore what my best friend said. I broke your trusted. I'm really sorry." He said regretted.

"Still using?" I asked.

The old concern came back. That was the one thing we always disagreed in. He always said it wasn't something dangerous or anything. That it just put him in a good mood.

"Nah, all clean." He said then laughed nervously.

"That punch was the wake up call I needed." He said.

"Well, you earned it." I scoffed. 

"Nahh, your punch just taste like honey. Well, girl punch." He said laughed.

"Well, at least I'm the only girl who dared to punch you. And your face said other wise though." I said proudly.

Throwing words back and forth between us like we used to started to turn funny and had us laughing. All that acrimony and resentment melting to disappearance and being replaced with the old familiar brotherhood that began since we were kids. I put my hand out for a handshake and a brother and sisterly shoulder to shoulder hug. I never thought I need this so bad. Having this conversation with him, just set me free. Its felt like some burden in my chest are relief.

"Good to have you back, sis." Yugyeom said sincerely. His hand on my shoulder.

"Same here." I said genuinely.

"Thanks for helping Sana out. I really appreciate it." I said.

"Anytime sis. Go be with your girl. I will catch you later." He said patted my shoulder.

I nodded.

"Thanks again." I said.

Mending bridges wasn't the easiest thing to do, but once done, everything else seemed fall in its place. I was torn between the sense of relief that things finally right between Yugyeom and I and my current situations that led me to seek this solution.