Redefined

Serena's skin glistened with a thick layer of sweat. It soaked her gray top until the fabric glued to her stomach and chest. The sweat dropped off her elbows as she pushed herself even harder around the sparring circle.

Her lightsaber hummed like a bird's song in her right hand. Her fingers wove around its shaft so tightly they trembled. That same tremor carved a path up her arm until her shoulder ached with its repercussions.

Her heart beat deep in her chest, like a drum roll in the distance she could hardly make out but still somehow feel deep in her bones. It consumed her. Its quick pace tantalized her, vitalized her, and told her of how wary she was.

She settled her left hand an inch away from her right hand but didn't let it touch the lightsaber. She took measured steps as she watched the droids circle around her. The ones behind her caused the hairs on her neck to stand to attention. She pushed herself around and lifted her lightsaber to block the lasers they shot at her.

The lasers ricocheted deep into the forest and hit a tree.

She tilted the tip of her lightsaber down to block another laser. She trained her aim to send the laser back to the droid who sent it. She watched as the red knocked off her orange blade and went straight back to where it came from.

A shiver ran down her spine. Without thought, she twisted her arm around until her lightsaber ran parallel along her spine. The heat from the blade dried the sweat off her back and pinked her skin. She held it until a laser hit her blade and bound back.

After the threat, she dropped her hand and let her lightsaber dance along her palm. She rolled her shoulders back and felt a twine of exertion spread across her chest. It was painful but manageable. She let her body feel the pain, she absorbed it, then she pushed it aside to make way for more work.

The hum of her lightsaber loudened as she wove her heated blade through the air. The wind sizzled as it met the force of her weapon. She became surrounded by an orange heat that would not extinguish- not that she wanted it to.

"Keep it up," Poe encouraged her gently. "Know your strengths, remember your limits."

She eyed the six droids left the in air. They whipped around like chaotic birds in need of a place to rest. She looked between them as she waited for one to strike.

"Try to engage them," Kaydel offered. "Push out against them."

Her head tilted forward as she narrowed her gaze on the threats. A trestle of hair fell in her face and curled with sweat. She blew out a sharp breath that caused it to flit out of the way. She held her breath and moved her lightsaber carefully into her left hand. It suddenly felt heavier in her weaker arm, like the blade had miraculously gained ten pounds. Still, with her stronger hand free, she raised it and pushed out against them.

The Force was tangible energy as it wove through her fingertips. She controlled it as it struck out at the two left droids. The vibration of her pure energy sounded in the air, deafening the hum of her lightsaber until it was mere white noise.

The two droids stumbled backward before losing their balance and stalling out of the air.

She twisted her hand to trap one of the droids in her grasp. It froze in the air and waited for her next command. Her right hand thrashed out towards the other droids. Two of them zipped out of the way, but one was not fast enough as the dead droid clobbered into it.

She watched the two droids smash together so harshly they dented into one being. As she admired her handiwork her left hand lifted the lightsaber to block an incoming laser. The small threat bounced off her lightsaber with an insignificant thud before it reverted to the woods.