Chapter Forty Four

Her heart was thumping in her chest and her legs felt shaky as she stared into the darkness behind the orange portal. Peter's hands shyly hooked underneath her ribcage as he swallowed hard, slowly gathering the courage to look her in the eyes. Her lips instantly curved into a warm smile, one that Peter had almost forgotten how it looked until now. She wondered if he felt the same nervous butterflies flying aimlessly in his stomach, the same feeling she had. Although, she was not entirely sure if it was because she was only seconds away from being reunited with her brother, or if it was Peter's hand placement. Most likely both.

"Hold onto me, Ny." Peter smiled as he guided her hands to his shoulders, where she obliged his demand. She felt like the world had slowed down as she stared into his eyes, the familiarity of the comfort he gave her making her heart feel warm and fuzzy.

When he released a string of his 'spider' webs and sent the two of them flying into the portal, the warm and fuzzy feeling faded away. Her body, which was once surrounded by the warmth of the planet Titan, was met with the chilly air of a very dark-looking Earth. The comfort she felt was long gone by this point, and the fear she felt before she vanished returned all in a matter of seconds. Their feet hit the cold stone ground, and Nylah was reminded of the last time she found herself on Earth.

At least last time, she did not have to face such a large crowd the size of Thanos's army. There was so many of them to the point that she could not see past the first twenty rows of his people, much less than the thousands that stood behind them. She had never seen every single member until now, and for a moment, she forgot the size of her own. Every single time she had attempted to fight Thanos, or anyone from his army, they lost. There were never that many people to help fight him, which ultimately lead to losing their battles. But as she turned her head to look at who would be helping her, only half-expecting for it to be just herself and the Avengers, she found that she was very wrong.

She could not recognise majority of people that stood beside her for what felt like miles. She could see Steve Rogers, and the Hulk, though for the moment, that was all that she could see and recognise. There were hundreds of thousands of the Avengers army, and this gave her confidence she had never had until now. They actually had a chance. Nylah could win and avenge those who had done her family wrong – and she was sure as hell going to do all she could to take these aliens down.

The erupting screams clicked Nylah into gear when it was time to do what was needed, and she wasted no time in beginning to charge at the aliens. Loud screams erupted from the back of Nylah and Peter's throats as they charged at the aliens side by side, both subconsciously choosing to team up against a larger alien coming toward them. She twisted her feet slightly as she drew to a stop, forming glowing balls of light in her hands before throwing them at the alien's stomach. At the same time, Peter had connected a web to one of the flying robot-like aliens from above, as he swung around the large alien and tied a web around its knees. Nylah's glowing light of pain caused for the alien to fall to the ground, just in time for a man with shoulder length hair, and an odd looking racoon, to come through and shoot at it until it was dead.

The long-haired man nodded his head toward her as if to say 'you're welcome, while the racoon winked at her, though she was almost certain that she was hallucinating. All she could manage to do in that moment was force an awkward smile before she turned around, only to find several aliens in one line running toward her. Her face fell into an angry frown, her eyebrows furrowing together in anger as she began to walk to them. She grabbed a piece of fabric around her wrist before pulling her long hair back, tying it up as the aliens charged at her with their weapons ready.

Nylah remained unphased as she dropped her hands to her side, her eyes focused on them intently, forming balls of light with her hands. It seemed as though the world had slowed down as she used her hands to push them together, creating a long and powerful blast that she had once created when she first met Hela. Except, this time, she was a lot stronger than she had ever been. Her confidence allowed her powers to reach a potential she would have never thought was possible, and the mere fact that she was not weak from injuries helped that much more. The simple blast sent the aliens to their deaths, the mouths agape, one last breath of air escaping their lips until the power stopping their beating hearts.