第四章

"Hashirama?" a voice called out.

Hashirama turned his head to follow the voice, finding Tobirama standing in the doorway of the office. He waved his younger brother inside, stepping away from the window he was looking out of.

"Did you bring more for me to look over?" Hashirama questioned, giving his brother a warm smile.

Tobirama nodded, handing him some scrolls. The white-haired brother watched as Hashirama returned to his desk.

"Is there anything else? I have much to do today." Hashirama prodded, opening one of the scrolls he just received. His eyes began to glide over the paper, turning his attention away from Tobirama.

"Yes, actually." Tobirama affirmed. He crossed his arms and eyed his older brother who was still focused on reading. "Have you gave any more thought on the Hokage situation? We can't keep wasting time, older brother."

Hashirama sighed and peered up from his papers. His expression showed annoyance at the question. He placed the scroll down on the desk and sunk back into his chair.

"I have thought about it." he began, his gaze trailing off to the window beside him.

"Well-"

Tobirama was interrupted by the door opening. The two brothers looked towards the door to see who was entering the room.

"Madara." Hashirama greeted as a bright smile crept on his face. "I thought you would be gone on your mission already."

Hashirama glanced back over to Tobirama. His body language had tensed at the sight of the Uchiha.

"We can finish our conversation at home, Hashirama."

The younger brother made his way out of the room, glaring at Madara as he left. Madara's face held a grimace as he watched Tobirama pass him.

Hashirama cleared his throat, attempting to direct Madara's attention back to him.

"What brings you by?"

Madara looked down at the brunette seated behind the desk, instantly softening at the sight. He was beaming back up at him.

"I just thought I would see you before I left," Madara spoke softly. A hint of blush covered his cheeks.

"Let me walk with you and see you off." Hashirama suggested. He stood up from behind the desk and began walking towards the door.

"Oh, no-"

"Madara, I'm going." Hashirama declared, walking out of the room.

Madara followed behind him, pouting.

______________________________

The two walked side by side through the village. Hashirama rambled about what he hoped would come about in the village while Madara intently listened. They passed by citizens that were working and shopping, however, many would stop to stare at the two men walking. Hashirama was oblivious to the obvious gawking, happily waving and greeting everyone. Madara, on the other hand, noticed glares cutting right through him.

Madara's pace began to slow, falling slightly behind Hashirama. He sunk his head low, hiding his face behind his long hair. This had been a heavy burden on Madara for some time now. People distrusted him.

*thud*

Madara collided into Hashirama's back, who had stopped abruptly.

"Hashirama!" Madara shouted, annoyance in his voice.

They had stopped just before the outskirts of the village, in front of a flower stand. Hashirama was holding out a white flower in front of him. The wind whirled around him, his hair swaying to the side. He had a gentle smile as he gazed up at Madara.

Hashirama held out the flower further, coaxing Madara to take it

Hashirama held out the flower further, coaxing Madara to take it. Feeling the eyes of everyone around him, Madara shakily reached for the flower.

"Wha-what's this for?" Madara asked, his cheeks burning. He looked down and examined the flower he held in his hand.

"It's for you," chuckled the brunette. His cheeks turned pink as he looked up at Madara as he was holding the flower.

Hashirama brought Madara's mind a moment of peace. His smile was his weakness. He began to feel flustered, remembering how many eyes were on them. Dropping his eyes the ground, he muttered out a thank you. He knew Hashirama was oblivious to the current situation.

"We will talk about this later," Madara thought to himself.

Madara shifted to walk past Hashirama, his face hidden behind his hair. Hashirama's cheery expression transformed to a look of concern as he watched Madara walk ahead of him. He felt himself begin to chase after Madara.

"Did I upset you?" he voiced, reaching his hand out for Madara.

As he was about to grasp the dark-haired man in front of him, he felt his body crash into something else. He had knocked over a barrel of goods, causing fruits to roll out into the path.

Somehow in the chaos, an elderly woman lost her footing. Madara, who had already taken notice of the ruckus, saw the elderly woman beginning to fall. Without hesitation, he leapt to catch her.

"Are you alright?" Madara asked kindly, helping her find her balance.

Once on her feet, the woman snatched herself away from Madara. She eyed him suspiciously before walking away without uttering a single thank you. Hashirama was too busy cleaning up the mess he had made to even notice what had happened.

Madara stormed off towards the outskirts, humiliated and hurt. He could hear Hashirama coming up from behind him.

"Madara, what's wrong?" Hashirama panted, finally catching up.

"I'm fine."

"Madara,-"

"We will talk about it later. I have to go now." Madara growled, stopping at the entrance to the village. He stared at Hashirama sternly, hoping to stop him in his tracks.

Hashirama nodded, a hurt look in his eyes.

"Okay," he muttered.

Madara's demeanor softened, noticing Hashirama's sensitivity.

"I'm sorry," he started, pausing for a moment. "If it's not too late, maybe I can see you once I'm back in the village."

The suggestion seemed to perk up Hashirama instantly. His smile began to return back on his face.

"I'll probably be doing work late tonight. I've been trying to avoid Tobirama, lately."

Madara chuckled, "Perfect. I will see you then."

He turned away and began his travels to the next village over. Hashirama watched him until he was just a tiny dot in the distance.

As Madara walked away, he still held the white flower tightly in his hand. He gave it one last look before gently placing it in his pocket. A smile appeared on his face as he thought about the man who gave it to him.