第40章

"We need to lay down some ground rules," Mito began.

"You are still my husband, so I expect you to fulfill your duties as one."

Hashirama nodded, "Of course. Whatever you need, I'll give it."

Mito's body language changed. She became stiff and rigid. "You can have your fun with Madara, but you must always come home to me. People will question us, if you don't."

Hashirama knew that.

"And for all of us to be happy in this arrangement, I do ask for one thing."

He leaned in, eager to do anything for this woman.

"What is it? I'll do anything." Hashirama expressed willfully.

She had a meek smile, and her eyes held a bit of hope. "You must give me children. I want to be a mother."

Their conversation from the night before whirled in Hashirama's head as he sat behind his desk. He stared at the papers in front of him, unable to find the motivation to work. Everything was going well. It seemed like she understood him. Of all things, that was the one thing he least expected.

He wasn't ready to be a father, especially not like this.

Madara still didn't know of any of this. Hashirama hadn't seen him since the reception. He planned to see him after his work, if he didn't run into him at the office first. Madara needed to know everything about the situation.

Everything, but the part about Mito bearing his children.

Madara would lose it. It would be too much for him right now. Maybe when things settled down, he could explain everything to its full extent. But for now, it just needed to stay between Hashirama and Mito.

*knock knock*

Hashirama snapped out of his daze, and looked up at the door.

"Come in."

Tobirama entered the room, looking a bit hungover.

"Your things are being moved over to your new house as we speak. Mito is there, so she should be handling everything," he announced.

Hashirama nodded. "Thank you for letting me know."

He could feel Tobirama's concerned eyes burning into him.

"Are you okay? You seem distracted. I mean, more than usual," he asked, his voice soft.

It was moments like this when Hashirama really wished his brother would just be....his brother. He could use his logical advice and his caring heart, but Hashirama knew he wouldn't understand.

"I'm just tired. Maybe, a little hungover," Hashirama lied.

"I know how that feels," the younger brother chuckled. He rubbed his head, indicating that he had a headache.

Hashirama cracked a smile. "You were a mess. And you think I'm embarrassing?"

"Yeah, yeah. You don't need to remind me. I'll leave you to work now."

Tobirama saw his way out of the room, leaving Hashirama alone with his thoughts again.

He thought more about their conversation.