第16章

Hashirama sat inbetween Tobirama and Madara at the conference table with all the leaders in the village. A meeting was being held to go over upcoming plans for the village. Voices were going back and forth across the table, making it hard for Hashirama to keep up. Occasionally, he would glance over to Madara, who seemed to be following along with ease. It made him feel guilty sitting as the Hokage, when Madara truly deserved it.

"What is the plan with the tailed beasts? The other villages are antsy." one asked.

"I was going to send Madara to handle-"

"Wouldn't it be better to send Tobirama?" another blurted out, interrupting Hashirama.

Hashirama noticed Madara tense up beside him.

"Well, I was going to have Tobirama stay and help-"

"I can go," Tobirama interjected, "I have more knowledge over the situation. Madara can stay here with you."

The way he spoke those words sent a chill down Hashirama's spine. It sounded as if he was insinuating something more.

"Do you not trust me?" Madara chimed in, his voice gruff.

"Do I even need to answer that question?" Tobirama retorted.

"You act like you're a saint," Madara huffed, rolling his eyes.

The tension in the air was thick. Everyone watched as the two men cut their eyes across Hashirama and glared at each other.

Tobirama seethed, "I know you're smart enough to realize why you can't go-"

"Enough of this bickering," Hashirama snapped, slamming his hands on the table.

The table shook violently and little vines began to sprout on the legs. Everyone in the room jumped in their chairs at the power of Hashirama. They all stared in awe, afraid to do anything out of turn.

"Now," Hashirama began, his voice stern yet calm, "Tobirama will go deal with the beast situation. Madara will stay and help me here. Let's move on now."

Everyone relaxed, nodding their heads. They all began shuffling their papers and preparing for the next topic. Hashirama was afraid to look at either of the men beside him. His eyes stayed glued on the papers in front of him, not daring to look away. Getting through the rest of this meeting was going to be exhausting.

______________________________

"We will continue this next week. Thank you all for being here," Hashirama concluded.

Not giving Madara and Tobirama a chance, he swiftly got out of his chair and out of the room. He rushed down the hall and escaped into his office. Sinking into his chair, he let out a frustrated sigh. He held his breath as he heard Tobirama's voice near the door.

"Please don't come in," he thought as he stared at the door.

His voice passed by, sounding as if he was having a conversation with someone. It trailed off until Hashirama could no longer hear him.

"Thank goodness."

He spun around to gaze out the window behind him. Looking out at the village seemed to ease his mind. However, his moment of peace was interrupted as he heard the door click and someone walk in behind him.

"Hiding from me, Hashirama?" Madara called out.

"Of course not," Hashirama lied, spinning back around to face him.

Madara stood in front of his desk with a bitter expression. Hashirama's cheeks turned red as they made eye contact. He knew he was upset.

"Why did you change your mind?" Madara asked, sounding a little hurt.

"You don't want to spend time with me?" Hashirama said light-heartedly.

Madara crossed his arms and frowned at Hashirama.

"I'm serious."

"I was just trying to keep the peace," Hashirama sighed, looking down.

"Peace? By suppressing the Uchiha?" Madara seethed, stepping forward at Hashirama.

"What are you talking about?" Hashirama bellowed, abruptly standing up from his chair.

"They don't trust me or any Uchiha," Madara expressed. "Will there ever be a Hokage from the Uchiha clan?"

Hashirama scoffed, "Of course, Madara."

They stood silently, taking a moment to cool off. Madara's face had a scowl and his demeanor was stiff. His eyes were black with anger, burning holes through Hashirama.

"I really don't believe that," he hissed.

"Madara, I wanted you to be Hokage," Hashirama argued.

"I'm talking about the future, Hashirama."

"My answer is still the same," Hashirama sighed, looking sadly at Madara.

Suddenly, the door opened behind them. An aide walked inside, unaware of the spat that was just taking place. The two men quickly collected themselves and tried to appear calm.

"Lord Hokage, I have reports for you," she announced, looking at the two men awkwardly.

She placed the documents on the desk and quickly exited the room. Madara began walking towards the door, but stopped to turn around just before opening it.

"I'll let you work," he spoke softly, looking solemn.

Hashirama frowned as he pushed hair back in frustration.

"Will I see you?" Hashirama asked in a worried voice.

"Tonight," he spoke quickly before leaving the room.

Hashirama fell back into his chair, immediately burying his face into his hands. Tears began to well up in his eyes and drip through his fingers. It felt like the world was collapsing in on him. He didn't want Madara to feel this way. All Hashirama wanted was peace for everyone.

He raised up and wiped his tears. Pushing aside his emotions, he began working on the reports that were laying on his desk. Distracting himself with work was the best option.

________________________________

Hashirama finished up the last reports for the day and quickly cleaned up to go home. He was exhausted and drained, but part of him didn't want to go home. Stress was waiting for him there, too.

He took his time walking through the village. Clouds were rolling in, but this didn't make Hashirama rush. His eyes stayed low as he walked, feeling dread wash over him. Before he knew it, he was standing in front of his home.

"I'm home, Tobirama," he called out as he walked inside.

Off to the right, Tobirama was standing in the kitchen. He was leaning against the counter, watching Hashirama as he walked in.

"I brought you some dinner," Tobirama spoke kindly, pointing at a plate beside him.

"I'm not very hungry, but thank you," Hashirama sighed.

The younger brother frowned.

"Are you still upset?" he asked in a small voice.

Hashirama forced a smile and shook his head.

"I'm just tired," Hashirama replied, before making his way towards his room.

He knew Tobirama was trying his best to apologize in his own way, but he needed a moment to himself. Crashing onto his bed, he closed his eyes.

"Finally," he thought, "A moment alone."