39

"I realize just now how every single memory we have is somehow tied to one of us or even tied to every one of us."

The big day has finally come.

Mau's family and some friends stayed in a single hotel while Ken's side was in a different hotel. I remembered how Mau and I drank a whole bottle of wine last night because she couldn't sleep. So, we spent that night with our wine glasses and her story of how she realizes that Ken's the love of her life, I even helped her with her wedding vow.

I don't know what time she slept because I doze off first while she's finishing her vow.

The wedding began at exactly 10 AM. Luther and I were partnered to walk on the aisle because he's the groom's man. And when it was Mau's turn, wearing a simple white gown, Ken's face was priceless as he watches Mau. He has that smile that we've never seen before.

"Our story is not extraordinary, it honestly sounds cliché whenever I told how our story began to people who are curious about us but you know, Ken. It became my favorite story because it's our story, it's where all our hows, whens, and whys are listed. How we found a home in each other's arms when we realize that it's us against the world, and why we choose each other every day." Mau looked at the paper she's holding before she continued.

"Kenneth, thank you for choosing me to write this part of our lives with me. Thank you for this new beginning you have given me, it would surely take me a lifetime to end what we're about to begin after saying I do."

Nang tumingin ako sa paligid, may ibang kanya-kanya na ng pagtatanggal ng luha sa mga mukha nila. Kokonti lang ang bisita nila Mau, halos close family and friends lang ang naririto. Mau and Ken really wanted their day to be as intimate as possible.

Pagkatapos i-announce ng pari na kasal na silang dalawa at panuorin silang maunang umalis sa simbahan, sumabay na kami kay Carl dahil kasya naman kami roon sa sasakyan niya. Habang nasa byahe, biglang nag-vibrate yung phone ko.

Ice Breaker: Pretty.

Napatingin ako sa passenger's seat dahil doon siya nakaupo habang nakatingin naman siya sa akin sa rear-view mirror.

I replied, Thanks, at itinabi na yung phone ko sa handbag ko at siniko si Luther na nasa tabi ko dahil sumisilip siya sa phone ko.

Pagdating namin sa reception, umupo kami sa respective table namin. We didn't take long in waiting for the program to start because Mau and Ken walked on the red carpet with their new attires and then gave their gratitude to their parents and to everyone who attended their wedding.

After that, we proceeded with our meal. Kakalapag ko lang noong pinggan ko sa lamesa nang kuhain yun ni Timothy, pinanuod ko siyang pira-pirasuhin yung fried chicken at nang matapos siya ay tsaka niya ibinalik sa akin yung pinggan ko.

I told him thanks before sitting on the chair between him and Luther. I was about to eat when Luther handed his plate to Timothy.

"Ako rin," Luther said.

"Sure." Timothy sounded enthusiastic as he got the plate from Luther. "Pero balita ko yung hindi marunong magpiraso ng manok hindi makakapasa ng BAR."

"I changed my mind." Agad kinuha ni Luther yung pinggan niya mula kay Timothy bago pa man mapiraso ni Timothy yung manok. Napailing na lang ako habang nagbabangayan sila nang dahil sa manok at sa BAR exam, na kesyo sayang daw pagpasok nila sa review center kung hindi sila papasa.

While they were busy with that, nag-iisip na ako kung anong ihahanda ko para kay Timothy next month sa BAR exam niya hanggang sa matapos kaming kumain. We were then called one by one to give a message to the newlyweds, when it was my turn, I took a deep breath as I held the microphone handed to me.