7. Would You Like To See My Mask?

Rachel tossed the day's newspaper on Finch's desk, smiling. On the front page, a picture of Falcone strapped to the harbor light.

"Now way to bury it now," She said.

"Maybe so, but there's Judge Phelan-" Finch started.

"I've got Phelan covered."

"And this 'bat' they're babbling about..." Finch trailed off.

"Even if these guys'll swear in court to being thrashed by a giant bat... we have Falcone at the scene - drugs, prints, cargo manifest - this bat guy gave us everything."

"Damn right. Let's get frying."

—-

Alfred threw the curtains open, waking (Y/N) from his deep sleep. He squinted and turned his back to the window.

"Bats are nocturnal," (Y/N) mumbled.

"Bats, maybe," Alfred said, "But even for billionaire playboys, 3:00 in the afternoon is pushing it. The price of leading a double life, I fear." He placed a tray with water, fruit, and the day's newspaper on (Y/N)'s bedside table. "Your theatrics made quite an impression."

"Theatricality and deception are powerful weapons, Alfred. It's a start." (Y/N) glanced at the paper before sitting up in bed. Alfred could now see the bruises across his torso and arms.

"If those are to be the first of many injuries, it would be wise to find a suitable excuse. Polo, for instance."

"I'm not learning Polo, Alfred."

"Strange injuries, a nonexistent social life... These things beg the question of what exactly (Y/N) (L/N) does with his time. And his money."

"What does someone like me do?"

"Drive sports cars, date movie stars, buy things that aren't for sale."

(Y/N) stood up, then dropped to the floor, sticking his hands out to do dizzyingly fast push-ups.

"Who knows, Master (L/N). If you start pretending to have fun, you might even have a little by accident."

—-

Crane, briefcase in hand, was buzzed inside the county prison by an official. They walked towards the cell of the man just brought in by Batman: Carmine Falcone.

"Dr. Crane," The official began, "Thanks for coming down."

"Not at all," Crane said. "So he cut his wrists?"

"Probably looking for an insanity plea, but if anything happened..."

"Of course. Better safe than sorry."

Crane entered Falcone's cell. He was sitting at a small, dinky metal chair next to a similarly styled table, his wrists bandaged. Crane dropped his briefcase onto the table.

"Dr. Crane, it's all too much," Falcone said sarcastically, "The walls are closing in, blah, blah, blah. Couple more days of this food, it'll be true."

"What do you want?" Crane asked, the gears in his mind turning.

"We got a lot to talk about."

"Such as?"

"Such as, how you're gonna convince me to keep my mouth shut."

"About what? You don't know anything."

"I know you wouldn't want the cops taking a closer look at the drugs they seized. I know about your experiments on the inmates at your nuthouse. I don't get into business with someone without finding out their dirty secrets. Those goons you hired... I own the muscle in this town." Falcone leaned forward. "So what have I been bringing in for you hidden in my drugs, Crane?"