15. To See Yourself Become the Villain

"Mr. Reese, what's more valuable, one life, or a hundred?"

"I guess it would depend on the life."

"Ok. Let's say it's your life. Is it worth more than the lives of several hundred others?"

"Of course not."

"I'm glad you feel that way. Because I've put a bomb in one of the city's hospitals. It's going off in sixty minutes unless someone kills you."

"Who is this?"

"I had a vision. Of a world without Batman. The Mob ground out a little profit and the police tried to shut them down, one block at a time. And it was so boring. I've had a change of heart. I don't want Mr. Reese spoiling everything, but why should I have all the fun? Let's give someone else a chance. If Coleman Reese isn't dead in sixty minutes, then I blow up a hospital. Of course, you could just kill yourself, Mr., Reese. But that would be the noble thing to do. And you're a lawyer."

—-

Gordon turned to one of the uniformed cops. "Call in every officer, tell them to head to their nearest hospital and start evac and search, call the transit authority, school board, prisons - get every available bus down to a hospital. The priority is Gotham general. Wheel everybody out of that place right now. My hunch is that's where the bomb is."

"Why?" One of them asked.

"That's where Harvey Dent is."

—-

(Y/N) finished buttoning his suit and went to walk out the door as Natasha suddenly went to follow him.

"No, no. I need you here, checking Gordon's men and their families."

Natasha nodded. "Looking for?"

"Hospital admissions."

"Will you be taking the Batpod, (Y/N)?"

"Middle of the day, Nat? Not very subtle."

"The Lamborghini then?"

(Y/N) smirked slightly as the elevator closed.

Natasha smiled to herself. "Much more subtle."

—-

(Y/N)'s car pulled past a television station, chaos around it as Gordon tried to escort Reese out of the building.

"I saw O'Brian and Richards," he spoke into his earpiece

Natasha was on the other end. "Nothing on them, no immediate family members admitted to a Gotham hospital."

(Y/N) continued trailing the police van from a distance, "I see Burns and Zachary. And a patrolman I don't know."

"Burns is clean," Natasha confirmed. "Zachary..."

"There's at least one I don't know. Send the information to Gordon."

—-

Inside the police van, Gordon felt his phone buzz. He quickly looked at the message. Erikson, Berg.

Gordon looked up at the uniformed cop across from him. The name tag on it said Berg.

"Berg, isn't it?" Gordon asked.