15. Finding Loki

Natasha led (Y/N), Steve, and Bruce to the bridge. There were dozens of S.H.I.E.L.D agents working at various stations, with Fury in the center of them all.

"All engines operating," Maria said. She was a little ways away from Fury. "S.H.I.E.L.D emergency protocol one nine three point six in effect." She turned to Fury. "We're at level sir."

"Good! Let's vanish."

"Engage retro reflection panels."

"Retro reflection panels engaged," an agent said after a moment.

Fury turned to the three men behind him. "Gentlemen."

Steve slipped Fury ten dollars. The latter turned to Bruce.

"Doctor, thank you for coming."

"Thanks for asking nicely," The scientist replied. "So, um, how long am I staying?"

"Once we get our hands on the Tesseract, you're in the wind."

"How do you plan on finding it?" (Y/N) asked.

Coulson walked over. "We're sweeping every wirelessly accessible camera on the planet. Cell phones, laptops, if it's connected to a satellite, it's eyes and ears for us."

(Y/N) nodded. "That's not a bad idea." He lowered his voice. "It'd make my job a lot easier if I had that tech."

Natasha chimed in. "It won't find them in time."

"You have to narrow your field," Bruce said. "How many spectrometers do you have access to?"

"How many are there?" Fury asked.

"Call every lab you know. Tell them to put the spectrometers on the roof and calibrate them for gamma rays. I'll rough out a tracking algorithm, basic cluster recognition. At least we could rule out a few places. Do you have somewhere for me to work?"

Fury turned to Natasha. "Agent Romanoff, would you show Doctor Banner to his laboratory, please?"

Natasha and Bruce walked out of the room. "You're gonna love it. We got all the toys."

(Y/N) turned to Fury. "Do you have a place where I could, uh..." He pointed to the duffel bag that was currently holding his suit.

—-

Fury had pointed him to a room a few floors directly above the hangar, which granted him quick access to said hangar - and the Batmobile. He had hung his suit up in the round space cut out with the word 'Batman' above it. There were two rows on either side which were able to contain his batarangs, grapple gun, and both regular bombs and smoke bombs.

He was just about to start relaxing when Fury's voice came over the intercom. "Batman, we've found Loki. You're up."

—-

Loki stepped out of the building in Stuttgart, using his magic to extend his scepter and don his helmet. He blasted a police car, flipping it over, then proceeded to make false copies of himself, which blocked the people's escape.

"Kneel before me," Loki said. The people were still frantic. "I said KNEEL!" He slammed his staff on the ground, and people began to drop to their knees.

"Is this not simpler?" Loki asked them. "Is this not your natural state? It's the unspoken truth of humanity, that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life's joy in a mad scramble for power, for identity. In the end, you will always kneel."

An older man stood to his feet. "Not to men like you."

Loki smirked. "There are no men like me."