4. Barton's Secret

The news televised every second of Tony's fight with the Hulk, and now there were people out to get them. Luckily, Clint had gotten them to an apparent safe house.

The jet landed outside a large farmhouse, and the team departed as Clint led them to the door.

"Honey, I'm home!" Clint said when he entered.

A heavily pregnant woman - no doubt Clint's wife - entered from the kitchen.

"Hi," Clint said. "Company. sorry I didn't call ahead."

"Hey," His wife said.

Tony was having none of it. "This is an agent of some kind."

Clint turned back to the team. "Everyone, this is my wife, Laura."

"I know all your names," She said. "Except yours." This was directed at (Y/N), who didn't have his cowl on.

Clint's children suddenly ran into the room. A boy and a girl.

"How do you explain this?" (Y/N) asked Tony as Clint embraced his children.

"Smaller agents."

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" Clint's daughter asked.

"Why don't you hug her and find out?" The young girl ran up to Natasha.

"Sorry for barging in on you," Steve said.

"Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed," Tony added.

"Yeah, well Fury helped me set this up when I joined," Clint said. "He kept it off S.H.I.E.L.D'S files. I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low."

Nat walked up to Laura and placed a hand on her stomach. "How's little Natasha?"

"She's... Nathaniel."

"Traitor," Natasha whispered.

A batarang slipped out of (Y/N)'s bag, which elicited surprise from the kids.

"You're the Batman?" The boy asked "From YouTube!"

"Uh... yeah, that's me."

The boy rushed into the kitchen and came back a moment later. "I have an action figure of you!" He held it up so (Y/N) could see.

"What? They make those?" (Y/N) picked up the batarang, but then held it out to the kid. "You can have it. I've got a million more like it."

"Can I, Mom?" The boy asked.

"It's alright," (Y/N) said. "It's dulled, anyway."

Laura thought a moment before saying yes.

—-

The team had gotten settled in Barton's home, except for Thor, who had left in search of 'answers,' whatever that meant. Tony and Steve were outside chopping wood, while (Y/N) was sitting in one of the rooms, alone.

He was watching a news report - specifically, one about the new DA in Gotham, Harvey Dent. But he was more focused on who he was with.

Rachel.

Which brought (Y/N) to the inevitable conundrum which had been plaguing him ever since that day in Sam Wilson's house.

Currently, he saw two options. One, he could find a day when he no longer needed Batman. Rachel had promised they would be together that day - but would it come?

Two, he could be with Natasha.

He began to recite an old saying he read in a book once. "I must not fear... Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration..."

Just as he was about to continue, he felt his phone buzz and saw a message from Tony, simply saying that Fury was there.

—-

(Y/N) came in to find Fury and the rest of the team - minus Thor, who was still gone - already discussing the matter at hand.

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time," Fury was saying. "My contacts say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked.

"Ah. He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic Rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans, though."

"He still going after launch codes?" Tony asked.

"Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway."

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare."

"I got a warning from the FBI when I was seven," (Y/N) said. "Apparently I clicked on a link I wasn't supposed to."

"Are you trying to one-up me, (L/N)?"

Fury ignored their comments. "I told our friends at NEXUS about those incidents."

"NEXUS?" Steve inquired.

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo," Bruce explained. "Every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on Earth."

"So what'd they say?" Clint asked.

"He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed," Fury said.

"By whom?" Tony asked.

"Parties unknown."

"Do we have an ally?" Natasha asked.

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is."

"I might need to visit Oslo, find out 'unknown,'" Tony said.

"Well, this is good times boss," Nat said, turning to Fury. "but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that."

"I do," Fury said. "I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. Here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve!" (Y/N) said, but was immediately shushed by the super-soldier.

"So what does he want?" Fury asked.

"To become better," Steve said. "Better than us. He keeps building bodies."

"Person bodies," Tony clarified. "The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."

"When you two programmed him to save the human race, you amazingly failed," Nat joked.

"He's not protecting them," (Y/N) realized. "He wants them to evolve. He wants to evolve himself."

"How?" Fury asked.

Bruce caught on to what (Y/N) was saying. "Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?"