12. I Am the Batman

(Y/N) stood in a relatively non-suspicious corner of the press room as Harvey called the press conference to order.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Harvey began, "Thank you for coming. I've called this mores conference for two reasons. Firstly, to assure the citizens of Gotham that everything that can be done over the Joker killings is being done. Secondly, because the Batman has offered to turn himself in-"

He was cut off by a heckler from the crowd. "So where is he?!"

"But first," Harvey continued, ignoring the comment, "Let's consider this situation: should we give in to this terrorist's demands? Do we really think that-"

He was interrupted yet again. "You'd rather protect an outlaw vigilante than the lives of citizens?!"

This time Harvey didn't ignore the statement. "The Batman is an outlaw... but that's not why we're demanding he turn himself in. We're doing it because we're scared, we've been happy to let Batman clean up our streets for us until now-"

Another interruption. "Things are worse than ever!"

"Yes," Harvey agreed, stunning the audience. "They are. But the night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming. One day, the Batman will have to answer for the laws he's broken - but to us, not to this madman."

"No more dead cops!" A policeman in the audience shouted.

"Where is the Batman?" Another person, a reporter this time, asked,

(Y/N) started to move forward, but Harvey spoke again. "So be it." He turned to the officers standing next to him. "Take the Batman into custody. (Y/N) took a few steps forward, but Harvey spoke yet again, this time stunning both (Y/N) and the audience as a whole. "I am the Batman."

—-

Back in (Y/N)'s penthouse, Rachel found Alfred. She had just seen the press conference.

"Why is he letting Harvey do this, Alfred?" She asked, upset.

"I don't know," Alfred said truthfully. "He went down to the press conference-"

"And just stood by?!"

"Perhaps both (Y/N) and Mr. Dent believe that Batman stands for something more important that a terrorist's whims, Miss Dawes. Even if everyone hates him for it. That's the sacrifice he's making - to not be a hero. To be something more."

"Well, you're right about one thing. Letting Harvey take the fall is not heroic." She held out an envelope with (Y/N's name written on it. "You know (Y/N) best, Alfred. Give it to him when the time is right."

"How will I know?"

"It's not sealed."

Alfred took the letter.

"Goodbye, Alfred," Rachel said before exiting.

"Goodbye, Rachel."

—-

When Rachel got down to MCU, a detective unlocked Harvey's cell for her to see him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't have time to talk this through with you," Harvey said.

"Don't offer yourself as bait, Harvey," Rachel pleaded.

"They're transferring me to central holding. This is the Joker's chance, and when he attacks, Batman will take him down."

"No. This is too dangerous-"