6. City In The Sky

Once they were on the jet, Steve gave one of his usual pep-talk speeches.

"Ultron knows we're coming," He began. "Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what
we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace, and that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done, and find out what Ultron's been building. We find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters and we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right."

When they got to the city, (Y/N) and Tony began their phase of the plan - finding out what the missing Vibranium was for. Following Stark's lead, (Y/N) placed the jetpack Stark had made for him on his back and followed, his cloak unfurling and casting shadows over the city.

Tony was making his way towards the church, and so (Y/N) came in on the other side of it, behind Ultron, who, fortunately, didn't notice him.

"Come to confess your sins?" Ultron asked Tony.

"I don't know, how much time you got?" Tony remarked.

"More than you."

"Uhhh." Tony suddenly noticed Ultron's body had grown in size. "Have you been juicing? A little Vibranium cocktail? You're looking, I don't wanna say, puffy..."

"You're stalling to protect the people."

"Well, that is the mission. Did you forget?"

"I've moved beyond your mission. I'm free." (Y/N) heard a device clicking, which he guessed was the missing Vibranium. "What, you think you're the only one stalling? This is how you end, Tony. This is peace in my time."

(Y/N) just barely turned to see Ultron's drones coming up out of the ground after him. He was able to dismantle one, but another got behind him and smashed his jetpack.

The impact caused the jetpack to let out much more thrust than normal, sending (Y/N) careening away from the church, as well as his objective.

He was able to drop the jetpack and expand his cloak, gliding back down to safety. That was when he felt the Earth cracking beneath him.

(Y/N) didn't have any time to think, however, as more drones came after him. He threw explosives and batarangs left and right, making a fair dent in their numbers, until he noticed Clint and Wanda making their way towards one of the buildings. He decided to give them some cover, and threw a smoke bomb at the robots before throwing a batarang in an arc, which was able to hit the drones in the neck and decapitate them as the batarang returned to his hand.

He grappled over to the structure Clint and Wanda were hiding in, sliding in and ducking behind the same cover Cint was using to fire off some arrows.

He immediately noticed the fear in Wanda's eyes. "Are you alright?"

"This is all our fault," She said.

"Hey," He said. "Look at me. I know you're afraid. Trust me, it happens. But you can't let it control you. Yes, there are hundreds of murder bots trying to kill us. Yes, something is happening to the city which I haven't entirely figured out. But there's a saying. I read it in a book somewhere - I gotta say, I can't really remember which right now. It goes, 'I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.'"

She seemed to take this in, then she repeated the words. "'I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.'"