1. Sokovia

In the months since HYDRA's fall in D.C, the Avengers were busy mopping up the last remnants of the organization.

Now, they were busy attempting to penetrate the defenses of one last HYDRA fortress - but it wasn't exactly easy.

Thankfully, Tony had upgraded (Y/N)'s suit so that it now had a removable jetpack and a link to the A.I, JARVIS.

(Y/N)'s cloak was expanded to give him slightly more control as he flew above the trees, distracting HYDRA soldiers by pelting them with explosives and batarangs from above.

In fact, when he slammed into an invisible force field, it came as much more of a surprise than it should have. HYDRA did have the last of the Chitauri technology, of course.

(Y/N) must have shouted an expletive without thinking, because next thing he knew Steve was shouting "Language!" Over the comm.

The electric shock from the force field didn't affect (Y/N) much, however, and he was able to regain his flight path relatively quickly.

"JARVIS, what's the view from upstairs?" (Y/N) heard Steve say over the comm.

"The central building is protected by some kind of energy shield. Strucker's technology is well beyond any other HYDRA base we've taken."

"Yeah, I got that," (Y/N) growled.

"Loki's scepter must be here," Thor said. "Strucker couldn't mount this defense without it. At long last."

Natasha came over the comm next. "'At long last' is lasting a little long, boys."

"Yeah. I think we lost the element of surprise." That was Clint.

"Hold on," Tony said. "Is no one gonna deal with the fact that Cap just said 'language?'"

"I know," Steve said. "It just slipped out."

(Y/N) and Tony continued their way towards the fortress.

Steve came onto the comm suddenly. "We have an enhanced on the field."

"Clint's hit!" Natasha came on next. "Somebody want to deal with that bunker?"

(Y/N) heard the Hulk smash through said bunker, followed by a "thank you" from Nat.

"Stark, (L/N)," Steve said, "We really need to get inside."

(Y/N) was flying right next to Tony.

"We're closing in," Tony replied. "JARVIS, are we... closing in? Do you see a power source for that field?"

"There's a particle wave below the north tower."

"Great. I wanna poke it with something." Tony proceeded to launch a missile at the north tower, where JARVIS had said, and the field began to disintegrate. "Drawbridge is down, people."

(Y/N) and Tony landed on the fortress and took out the few soldiers who met them. The two of them proceeded to make their way inside of the fortress.

The pair found the man called Dr. List, Strucker's head honcho, so to speak. (Y/N) smacked him on the head once, rendering him unconscious.

Tony stepped out of his suit and ordered it to stand guard. (Y/N) took his jetpack off, knowing he wouldn't need it in here.

(Y/N) then looked around the room they were in as Tony did a little work on the computer Dr. List was working on. He noticed something off about one of the walls, and when he pressed on it, the wall came away and revealed a secret passage.

"How did you do that?" Tony asked.

(Y/N) shrugged. "I know a thing or two about secret doors."

The two of them made their way down the passage, coming into a huge room with bits of tech strewn about. A dead leviathan was even hanging from the ceiling.

Steve came over the comm. "Guys, I got Strucker."

(Y/N) looked up at the leviathan. "We have something a bit larger."

Tony noticed the scepter. "Thor, I got eyes on the prize."

(Y/N) was behind him when, suddenly, he felt something - no, someone - creep up behind him.

But he wouldn't get a chance to retaliate because a swarm of bats began to circle around (Y/N). When they dissipated, (Y/N) was in a different place than he was before.

Rachel was dead at his feet. A little ways away was Alfred, and then the rest of the Avengers.

Suddenly, (Y/N) snapped back to reality. He saw Tony reaching for the scepter, and nodded.

—-

On the quinjet on the way out of Sokovia, (Y/N) stared at the blue gem inside the scepter. That thing had caused so much death and destruction, and yet, he thought if it could be used for good...

Nat's voice broke (Y/N)'s trance. "You alright?"

He nodded. "I'm fine. It's just... Don't know. I saw something in my head, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with this."

—-

Back at Stark Tower - which had been renamed Avengers Tower since New York - (Y/N) began packing his things to go back to Gotham. HYDRA wasn't coming back anytime soon, with the scepter in Tony's hands and Strucker being held by NATO.

Steve came in as (Y/N) was putting his suit away.

"Can I convince you to stay a little while longer?" He asked. "There's going to be a party later. And if Stark taught me anything, it's that people like you and him love parties."

(Y/N) chuckled. "You got me there, old-timer. Should I call Alfred? You know, you are technically older than him."

"What's his name?"

"Alfred Pennyworth."

"I think I served with him during the Second World War."

(Y/N) smirked. "That's something he didn't tell me. Maybe you guys can catch up a little."

—-

At the party, (Y/N) and some others were sipping drinks and listening to a story from James Rhodes, a friend of Tony's that (Y/N) had met once during a press conference.

"Well, you know, the suit can take the weight," Rhodey was saying. "So I take the tank, fly it up to the general's palace, drop it at his feet, and I'm like, 'boom, are you looking for this?'" Everybody just stared blankly. "Boom, are you... Why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else that story kills."

"That's the whole story?" Thor asked.

"Yeah, it's a War Machine story."

"Well, it's very good then. It's impressive."

"Quality save." He turned to Tony. "So, no Pepper? She's not coming?"

"No."

"How 'bout you, (L/N)? That girl, what was her name again? Rachel?"

(Y/N) shook his head. "Nah, she's got a date night with the new DA."

"What's his name again?" Tony asked. "Harvey something?"

"Dent. You know, the guy with a really bad campaign slogan."

Tony and Thor both laughed at this, which visibly agitated Rhodey slightly.

Seeing his irritation, (Y/N) decided to leave before an incident occurred. "I'm, uh, gonna go get a drink."