19. The Battle of New York

A giant creature floated through the portal, built of flesh and metal, the size of an aircraft. Yet it was alive.

Chitauri soldiers dropped from the leviathan, grabbing onto the sides of buildings and shooting at the civilians.

"Stark, are you seeing this?" Steve asked over the comms.

"Seeing, still working on believing. Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?"

"Banner?"

"Just keep me posted."

On the rooftops, (Y/N) continued rushing towards Stark Tower. As it turned out, he was running parallel to the leviathan.

Chitauri soldiers dropped down onto the rooftops, firing at (Y/N). He knew his suit wouldn't hold against their weapons, so grappled the building across the street, disconnecting the line and landing on top of the leviathan. He ran to the front of the beast and grappled at the next street intersection, speeding above the street.

He continued to grapple between the buildings until he saw the team again. When he did, he swung down and kicked a Chitauri in the face, throwing a batarang at another and escaping in a puff of smoke. The soldiers looked around until they were hit by arrows, no doubt from Clint.

(Y/N) fired his grapple into the shoulder of a Chitauri who was about to attack Nat, pulling it back towards him and swinging it into a car.

He ran over to the rest of the team, and Thor dropped down as well.

"What's the story upstairs?" Steve asked the two of them.

"They've got soldiers on the rooftops," (Y/N) told him.

Thor spoke next. "The power surrounding the cube is impenetrable."

"Thor is right," Tony said into the comms. "We gotta deal with these guys."

"How do we do this?" Natasha asked.

"As a team," Steve replied.

"I have unfinished business with Loki," Thor said.

"Oh, yeah!" Clint remarked. "Get in line."

"Save it," Steve commanded. "Loki's gonna keep this fight focused on us and that's what we need. Without him these things could run wild. We got Stark up top, he's gonna need us to-"

He noticed a motorbike in the distance coming towards them. Bruce.

"So, this all seems horrible," Bruce said as he got off the bike.

"I've seen worse," (Y/N) and Nat both remarked, though (Y/N) was being sarcastic.

"Sorry."

"No, we could use a little worse."

"Stark, we got this," Steve said into his earpiece.

"Banner?" The billionaire asked.

"Just like you said."

"Then tell him to suit up. I'm bringing the party to you."

Tony flew around the corner, being relentlessly pursued by the leviathan.

Nat was stunned. "I don't see how that's a party."

"I've had worse parties," (Y/N) remarked.

"What?"

"I'll tell you later."

Bruce began to walk towards the leviathan.

"Doctor Banner," Steve called out, "Now would be a really good time for you to get angry."