19. All Hell Breaks Loose

(Y/N) was standing in the control room, watching as a doctor began to evaluate Bucky in his cell. Next to him were Sharon, Sam, and Steve.

Sharon handed Sam something. "The receipt for your gear."

Sam looked at it. "Bird costume?"

"I didn't write it." Sharon turned off the audio on the security feed.

"Bird costume..." (Y/N) pondered, his mind turning.

"I'm not here to judge you," The doctor said. "I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, James? I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James."

"My name is Bucky."

Steve studied the photograph of Bucky taken from the bombing. "Why would the Task Force release this photo to begin with?"

"Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?" Sharon assumed.

"Right. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier."

"You think he was framed?" (Y/N) asked

"Steve and I looked for the guy for two years and found nothing," Sam added.

"We didn't bomb the UN." Steve said. "That turns a lot of heads."

"Yeah, but that doesn't guarantee that whoever framed him would get him," Sharon added. "It guarantees that we would."

(Y/N)'s eyes suddenly widened as he connected the pieces. "I have to go."

Inside the chamber, the doctor continued speaking to Bucky. "Tell me, Bucky. You've seen a great deal, haven't you?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"You fear that... if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop. Don't worry." The doctor checked his phone briefly. "We only have to talk about one."

On the stairwell leading to the secure chamber, (Y/N) suddenly saw as the lights went out. He knew either one of two things was happening: either someone inside had set off an EMP, or someone outside had cut the power. He continued down the stairs.

Inside the secure chamber, Bucky was unnerved. "What the hell is this?"

"Why don't we discuss your home?" The doctor asked. "Not Romania. Certainly not Brooklyn, no. I mean, your real home." He pulled out a red book with the communist star on the cover. "Желание. (Longing)"

"No," Bucky said, his head snapping back in the seat.

"Ржавый. (Rusted)"

"Stop."

"Рассвет. (Daybreak)"

Bucky screamed and broke free of his restraints.

"Печь. (Furnace) Девять. (Nine)"

Bucky punched the inside of the pod.

"Добросердечный. (Benign) Возвращение на Родину. (Homecoming) Один. (One) Грузовой вагон. (Freight car)"

Bucky struck the pod again and the glass shattered. The doctor stood over him, book in hand.

"Солдат? (Soldier?)"

"Я готов отвечать. (Ready to comply)"

"Mission report. December 16, 1991. And..." The doctor appeared to think. "I want to know where he is."

Bucky looked up at him as his next words came.

"Where is Bane?"

The doctor was suddenly drawn back into the shadows. The Winter Soldier looked and waited as (Y/N) emerged.

The two men were silent as they stared each other down.

(Y/N) struck first, throwing a trio of batarangs he had behind his back. The Winter Soldier blocked two of them with his metal arm and tanked the third, which scratched his cheek.

(Y/N) swung his fists hard, but gained no ground in his battle. He hadn't been keeping up with regular criminals, and now he was in hand-to-hand with a super-soldier.

The Winter Soldier's metal arm punched the cowl, but, unlike the first time they had met, the cowl resisted. Tony's new suit had paid off.

(Y/N) jumped back and dropped a smoke pellet. The Winter Soldier looked around, then went to leave the room.

Little did he know, the Batman was following from the ceiling close behind.

When the pair got outside, (Y/N) saw Tony with a pair of tech glasses and an Iron Man gauntlet on his hand. As Tony fired at the Winter Soldier, (Y/N) dropped down from above and tried to tackle him. However, the Winter Soldier's reflexes were fast enough to throw him off.

As (Y/N) was recovering from the Soldier's attack, both Natasha and Sharon attacked him, but neither of them were able to overwhelm him.

T'Challa came down in his Black Panther suit, and both he and the Winter Soldier left the area.

---

Tony met back up with (Y/N) after the chaos died down. The latter had removed his suit and was currently inside his hotel room.

"You're out of your game, old friend," Tony said, half-jokingly.

"New suit needs to be broken in a little."

Tony nodded in understanding. "Ross has given us 36 hours to bring Barnes in. Sam and Cap, too."

"What's your plan?"

"We're gonna need some help. You wanna come with?"

(Y/N) quickly checked to make sure there weren't any cameras in the room. "Batman? Or..."

"I think (Y/N) (L/N) will be more suited for this one."